31 band graphic to fix unbalanced cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I occasionally use a newer model Carvin 8x10 for "bigger" outdoor shows and such. It is not part of my regular rig. It is provided and available to me at no additional expense.

I like its form factor and coverage for big-stage outdoor shows, but the thing is sonically unbalanced as hell. A bit blurry, and there are peaks and holes in the frequency response at many different points in the spectrum - some pretty severe. My regular rig (VT Deluxe +power amp) can't EQ around the sonic deficiencies of this cab.

I'm curious if a 31 band graphic would be able to balance the cab out and get rid of the blurriness?

It is well padded inside, all surfaces, so that's not the problem. It is also all-original with original speakers (PS-10 ceramics). All 10's are in one chamber, shelf ported at the bottom. It doesn't fart out, it just sounds blurry and tonally unbalanced.

It sure would be nice just to carry a 31 band graphic to the gigs where I need to use it so I can just plug-n-play with my regular rack. Do you think a 31 band graphic could "fix" this cab and make it sound more flat?

Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's probably much of the problem. Too large internal dimensions can lead to problems. EQ might help, but you might be trying to polish a turd with this one.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's what I'm afraid of. Polishing the turd. I don't want to drop bread on a decent graphic just to say "it really made no difference".

If it made a big difference, but still not perfect, I wouldn't mind doing it.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Borrow an EQ, try it.

5. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    sounds possible ...

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You can always take advantage of a 30 day return policy on an EQ. Honestly though, I would get something better rather deal with more gear at shows.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

How much is turd polish these days? Does it come in odor blocker gold? :eek:

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Out of phase with your regular cab?

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For large shows the cab is provided, so if I wanted something better I'd have to both purchase it AND haul it just for the large shows. I figured it would be easier to just walk in with a 31 band EQ and roll with it, IF it could flatten out the cab.

The thing sounds god-awful as is. It has so many extreme peaks and valleys I can't imagine anyone remotely being satisfied with one.

I was just curious to hear if anyone here thought they had "fixed" a problematic cab using a 31 band graphic, if it was possible.

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Forget the cab, and run through the floor monitors?

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Fixed NO, made almost tolerable yes. Finding out what is fixable with the cab would be better time spent. Air leaks, drivers out of phase, adding at least a center divider. I know its not your cab..........you may find yourself spending more time with the EQ than your bass unless you have a white noise generator, reference mike and spectrum analyzer.

12. Hi.

I have used a 31 band EQ to even out cabs, but most often it's a pair of ancient Russian 15"+12"+2*1" PA-cabs with pretty complicated cross-overs. The result is "better", but then again it's not that bad to begin with, I have no problems running 'em without an EQ.

Just as BFM said, try before You buy, I for one wouldn't get my hopes up.

Regards
    Sam

13. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    You may spend a lot of time without getting satisfied. Get Yourselfe some good, stable, average used cabs (like the Peavey TVX 410). Two of them will do the job for a reasonable price.

This will make more sense than getting an EQ and spend a lot of time.

I once made this mistake, but this is 30 years ago. The cabs affordable to me showed up seldom, and so I changed a DIY- 215 to a Marshall 118. Such a big cab! But it soundet awfull with my setup. So I tried it witha active, graphic EQ, I think at least 22-band. The effect: I spent my time on the floor, playing some tones, twiddeling around with the EQ, playing, twiddeling.... I lost valuable time by trying to get some tone.

So I collected money from my apprenticeship wage and bought me a reasonable cabs and an amp. Wow, this was it! First time I had a real good sound!

Play Bass!

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A multiband parametric EQ might work better. Seriously though, it sounds like you need a different cab. EQ is great for removing problem frequencies, and for a little boosting. But if you need a lot of EQ, especially if you need a lot of boost, then it can start sounding artificial.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    In 30 or so years of gigging my track record of success for fixing an issue by beating it to death with EQ is exactly zero.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Word. A little EQ is very cool, sometimes even a lot of it, but if something is so far off that it requires a 31 band to fix it to my liking, I'll pass. Having said that, a decent parametric or even a smaller graphic wouldn't be totally out of the question for me. But definitely try before you buy.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A small 3 band line-level PEQ may help tame things down. I hate to see you spend $$ to "fix" something that isn't even your's and used only occasionally.

Riis

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Panel distances far enough apart to get peaks and nulls in the "meat" frequencies?

19. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yes.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021