1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

310" Vs 1x12"+2x8"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by defbazzz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. 3x10"

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. 1х12" + 2х8"

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. 1х12" with another pair

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi!
    need custom cab for my Markbass LM Tube 500.
    it's for little gigs and repetitions

1. 3х10 450W 6 Ohm (B&C CL speakers)
    2. 1х12+2х8 450W 4/6 Ohm (12" - B&C HPL, 8" - Eminence Alpha)
    3. another pair whith B&C 1х12 under 400-450W on 4/6 Ohm

unfortunately, I have no possibility to listen the similar cabs and to choose the best configuration

please vote and express your opinions :)
    Thanks!

2. Who are you going with to make it, or are you going DIY? I'd like to see pics! (Also, Low Down Sound may be a good choice if you aren't going DIY)

3. Carrots. As specified none of those options are appealing, especially not if you are getting/building a custom cab.

4. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    it's "DIY" project :smug:
    i have some cab building experience, but didn't play on cabs of such configurations
    i plan to build it in september. with a lot of pics, of course :)

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
  6. I suggest you check out BFM and greenboy's fEARful designs for DIY stuff.

7. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
  8. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    thanks, i'll check them )

9. I´m really interested in the 2x8" config. I´m between this or a 10"cab about 350w RMS

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would go with the 2x8/1x12. I would think you would get a nice punch at low and mid volumes without being overbearing. Second choice would be 1/12 with another. I've tried a few 3x10 and have been underwhelmed and the boxes weren't really that small. I've owned the following 3x10s
    1. Bergantino HT310- Nice sounding cab, but heavy, at this point, just get the 410
    2. Epifani 310 (I think it was a UL). Great cab, but same thing, for the weight and footprint just get a 410.

I've tried the prototype Bergantino vertical 310 and it was the loudest I've heard. Truly comparable to a 410. But, it's still a big box.
    Also tried the demeter 310 which sonically, was nice, just left undecisive because of price. It seems similar to what you are trying to do with a 3x10

11. See if I was interested in a DIY cab with a 12" speaker I would be checking out a fEARful 12/6 with the Alpha mid. The designs are free, the cross over is already designed, the cab can be ordered in a flat pack, and the cross over can be ordered pre built if its scary. There is a whole forum of users, builders, and the designer to ask questions of.

Building a bass cab that sounds good isnt as easy as putting speakers in a wooden box.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1000

Like I say, never remove your own appendix, and certainly not without instructions. If you are going DIY and you do not have firm grasp of the engineering priciples, it's silly to fly by the seat of your pants when there are top quality, proven plans available. Good luck.

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Personally, I'd go with a single 8ohm 12. Depending on the efficiency of it, it should be plenty loud enough with the 300w your head puts out. And you could use 2 for bigger gigs if needed. It's been my experience that when gigging a single small speaker that Ive always wanted more even if i didn't need it.

14. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    OMG!!! Guys, you break my brain ))))))))))

310 is the poll leader, but your opinions about 1х12 with addition cab looks very-very reasonable :hyper:

i was thinking about fEARful designs, but it's very powerfully for my MB head. and i want to use B&C as 12", not the Eminence

i have good design for B&C 12HPL64
    the most problem is the choice of 8" drivers. and how about frequency range?
    the pair of 100W 4 or 16 ohm would be excellent. what brand and model you can advise?
    :confused::confused::confused:

15. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    bump :help:

16. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    little necrobump :D

12HPL64 is gone, but i got Markbass 10' speaker as a gift

VZfG8O8x7r4.

aopWg3oO5rw.

79hkWIxOvT0.

4REwFLpnbXs.

UstCen0wgkE.

7gNR54YbliA.

xgyAoOJfYGw.

mej1ioldyz8.

ENQlWdEStZI.

17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Nice Status...

Does a the 110 get you through your needs?

18. defbazzz

defbazzz

Jun 13, 2012
    Only neck and bodie is original. Now it have Nordy DC in passive mode, Hipshot bridge and Gotoh tuners with d-tuner. i love it :bassist:

Yes ) it's sounds great, and i dont need much power anymore

19. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Nice...I hear You.

I have a Status J with Nordy 70's wind and Audere pre.
    Its all about the neck with those basses...