311 and incubus fans!!!!!!......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Aug 1, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    hey any incubus and 311 fans...i recently got a 5 sting bass and heard 311 and incubus are the best bands out there for wicked bass lines. Can any of u name some wicked songs(that include bass) from incubus or 311???

thanks for writing back!!!!!!!!
  2. ok mate. I don't know any 311 but i know plenty incubus. not all are 5 string but learn them anyway.

1 = a certain shade of green
    2 = you'll be a hot dancer (i think it's called that)
    3 = pardon me
    4 = redefine
    5 = magic medicine
    6 = new skin

they're my faves.
    other 5 string stuff that is fun to learn is limp bizkit's 'counterfeit'
    cool song.

I think i love flea.... And mick foley
  3. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    Some 311 to check out-
    1)What Was I Thinking
    2)Beautiful Disaster
  4. most 311 stuff you can play on a 4 string... my favorite 311 lines are feels so good, omaha stylee, salsa, and prisoner.
  5. toycopbassist

Aug 12, 2000
    ok i'm kinda new to bass but i still think 311 and incubas has some great lines so just find a song you like and try and learn it thats what i do
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try 311's "Feels So Good". P-Nut does a pretty cool solo in that one, too.
  7. I'm a huge fan of both of those bands, some of my favorite songs to play are

Nowhere Fast
    Battlestar Scralatchitca
    Pardon Me

Feels So Good
    Creature Feature
    Freak Out
    All Mixed Up
    Misdirected Hostility

8. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Incubus: "priviledge" (none of the tabs for it are accurate though) "Make Yourself" "Pardon Me" "Battle Star Scralachtica"

311: "come original" "what was I thinking" "large in the margin" "down" and All mixed up"
  9. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    The whole album Transistor is full of excelent musicianship. Definantly check it out!
  10. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    I don't really listen to Incubus but i can say that all 311 songs are kool on bass. i would lean more toward Come Original and Down though.
  11. basskid311

Aug 28, 2000
    Two sick 311 songs are fu*kthe bullsh*t and Tribute
  12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The whole 311 MUSIC CD is awesome! Not too tough to learn either (because the bass is mixed in well). COME ORIGINAL is a great song on SOUNDSYSTEM, but how does he do that slap/pop part?
  13. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    INCUBUS ROCKS!!! my personal favorites are "when it comes" &"out from under them" but "battlestar scralatchtica" is a close runner up cause its so fun! if you wanna learn some 311 personally i like "beautiful disaster"
  14. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i'm neither a big fan of 311 nor to much slapping stuff, but teh whole album transistor is pretty tasty bass stuff.
  15. willbassist

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey! There is this Track on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus called Redefine and it has this little interlude with a MAD little slapping bass lick! Learn it if you can! Also, try some old Incubus cause it's more outrageous!

Enjoy Incubus!
  16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    for 311 you got

Feels so good
    beautiful disaster
    what was i thinking..
    and some bad ass bass opening solo on grass roots i dont remember the song though

incubus you got
    you will be a hot dancer
    hjilikus or soemthing liek that
    and shaft

those are my fav songs to play by both bands,,,

17. HectorHuff

HectorHuff Guest

Any thing off of 311 "Music" esp. "my stoney baby" "feel so good"....also check out the e.p. "enjoy incubus"

18. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Here is my two cents on Dirk Lance( Incubus)
    pardon me & stellar- both use alot of sliding techniques which are really cool.
    you will be a hot dancer and redefine have some mad slap lines
    i also like magic medicine and glass and if anyone has the new ep, when incubus attacks, vol.1 it has a secret track with a real fat bassline. check it out!
    oh, and pretty much all incubus **** is awesome, can u tell im a fan.
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you want to see some cool rock bass, check out "New Skin" by Incubus. Not outspoken, not underplayed. It IS root notes (except for the slap part), but it uses alternate voicings and octaves (especially in the opening fast riff, it uses to octaves of B. The guitaring for that part has a HARD rhythm! Its deceptive). Its pretty cool...to bad its so damn quiet.

Rojo, the slap part is actually very, very easy. I can send it to you, if youd like.