Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

311-feels so good

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 17, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i can play the whole song,and most of the solo_On the solo i can play the A and 7th fret of G string just fine.Sorry i forgot the note!But what I have trouble is the last few notes in the solo.Can someone write this out for me?in tab,notation,or notes i can read em all.thanks

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    is that the left hand slap part your talking about. i think in the studio version he just does a little poping thing, but in the live version it sounds alot cooler cause it left hand slap. try to get the 311 video "enlarged to show detail" (at least i think thats what its called) to see p-nut do it live. or get the 311 live album,its on there too. or if ya wanna be cheap(like me:D ) download 311- feels so good live from a file sharing program. i remember when i first learned that whole song i was so proud of myself, i thought i was the ****. but then one day i got my ass handed to me by another bass player.:D but it doesnt matter im better than him now.:D
    psi need help, when i was typing this must have pressed a wrong button. cause now when i spell something wrong and go back to fix it, it deletes the next letter in the word any body know how to fix this.(if you even know what im talking about)

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i wrote this along time ago and i can play it now.but i must admit that the live version sounds better.how do u do left hand slap?what a coincidence i just watched the 311 movie today.my friend has it we watched it all the time.do you know any websites where i can learn left hand slap?

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    it pretty easy do do. i bet you already know how to do it but you dont know what it's called. its also kinda hard to explain, try doing a search on left hand slap im sure sombody in here can explain it to ya. if you cant find it in search just start up a new thread on it. peace;)

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    a left hand slap is what is says. you take your left hand and slightly curve the fingers. then slap the all of your strings. but do not bring your hand back up or let the notes ring. the object it to get that "thnck" sound.. i use this if i'm playing something and want to change it up a bit. i'll do a left hand slap then tap a note and do a glissando or something.. but I haven't tried to learn that solo.. sorry i can't help you with that.

6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    ok let me try to help. instead of doing a normal left hand slap.try hitting the strings with your index,ring and middle fingers all at different times one right after another(kinda like a drum roll). thats what i do for this song anyway. sorry if you cant understand my explanation im not to good at being the teacher.good luck;)

7. Les, when that happens, you need to hit the INSERT key. You've accidentally hit it and toggled from insert mode to overstrike mode.

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    ohh thank god, i was starting to get pissed. thanks man.;)

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    thanks idiezman,i can now left hand slap!woohoo!for this solo though ill try lesfleanut's method,thanks all!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    good job man. that solo is kinda tricky. it took me a while to figure it out.good look and let us know when you nail it. peace;)

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    one the left-hand slap version,what do u play?i havent tried it yet,but i lefthand slap now.

13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i always play the live version with the left hand slap.i just think it sounds cooler.peace;)

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i mean what notes do u play for the live version?

15. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    that same as normal, but with that "bass roll" at the end.

16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    oh!OK

17. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    you reply pretty quick does your computer notify you when you get a new email. mine does cause i got windows xp.

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    windows xp doesnt have anythin to do with it.i got windows 98.it just emails me when someone replies.

19. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    yea but xp has a cool new feature, when you get a new e-mail a little messege pops on the lower right hand side of the screen(by the clock). xp kicks ass its loaded with all kinds of cool features.by the way have you tried to play the live version of the p_nut solo yet.peace;)

20. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah i tried it,but i didnt understand.this is what i usually play.sorry for the tab but i havent memorized any notes on the g string yet...
    G---------5-5h7-5---------5-7-5
    D-------------------------------
    A--0-5--------------0-5--------
    E-------------------------------

so what should i change?