Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

311 - From Chaos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jun 20, 2001.

1. well, being a long time hardcore 311 fan, let me say first that i was a bit disappointed in their last album. there were some great songs on it, but a few were just embarrassingly bad.

but i got "from chaos" yesterday, and i was pleasantly surprised. it's a much more solid album, very offbeat and different grooves as usual, and a marked improvement in the lyrics IMO. reminds me of the blue album with a little bit of "music" thrown in on the mellow tracks. plus, the cd-rom features just kick ass. i can't wait for them to tour so i can see them a 5th time.

what do you guys think about it, and what's your favorite 311 album? mine's grassroots.

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I haven´t got it yet, but I also agree about the last album, and Grassroots is also my favorite album right now.
    And btw..You´ve seen 311 live five times???DAMN..

3. no, i've seen 'em 4 times, i said i can't wait _until_ my 5th. one time was at the HFStival though, and it wasn't a proper show because they only had time to play all their singles and concert staples, but they still put on the best show of the day.

4. I really like Music and this locaL demo they did, Omaha sessions.

5. I have the "Blue" album and Transistor, which are both pretty good. I've just started to get into them again, I bought those albums like 3 years ago. The new single is pretty cool, maybe I'll buy it.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Music and Grassroots are my favs; I did dig that early '70s Santana-ish tune from Sound System(was that their previous release?).
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll pick up From Chaos this weekend.
    P-Nut is solid; personally, though, I'd like to hear Mr. Nut in some different projects...

7. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Soundsystem is a pretty good cd, but pales in comparison to any of there older stuff. My personal favorite is Music, with Transistor in a close second.

8. Dude, I was wondering what songs off Soundsystem did you not like? The songs that I really like are Strong All Along, Freeze Time and Evolution. All the rest I thought were pretty ordinary.

9. 5 string freak, i dislike "can't fade me" and "evolution" just because the lyrics are so bad. catchy tunes, but i just can't ignore those lyrics.

the ones i really like are large in the margin, life's not a race (good call JimK) sever, eons, and living and rocking (crazy good riffs in that song).

10. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    My whole band's into 311. That's what we played the last time we were together (blue album, a couple of transistor songs). 311 is an awesome band and I would love to see them live. I need to go pick up the new album. Pnut's sound is great from what I saw of the video on mtv. So if you guys say the album is good, then it must be good. My favs that I always listen to and frankly grew up on is the blue album and grassroots. The blue album should be a staple in any and everyone's cd collection, just like No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom. But anyway, I'm gonna have to get the new album soon. :)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just picked this up & listened to about the first 7 tracks on the ride home.
    Hmmmm, my initial feelings are I 'like it', BUT...really, it's the same ol', same ol'...ain't it? IMHO, nothing's really fresh & it's all been done before. I guess Chad Sexton will never change the sound of his snare, huh? ;)
    I did like the Beatles-esque sounding chords on the opening track's chorus(I think)...the opening groove on track 6 is pretty Funky.
    Also, something I noticed is a difference in P-Nut's slapped tone; a little more metallic than what I've heard in the past. Personally, I prefer the more wooden tone he had on previous albums. Too, one of the tracks(maybe #7?) sounded as though he was using a pick on a short bass 'solo'-type thing.
    I dunno, that's my first impression...I'll spin it some more a little later.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I was thinking of picking this up. I'm a fan, but not really hardcore.

My favorite albums are Grassroots and their self titled (blue) album. My all time favorite 311 song is Home Brew. The live album they put out a while back is slammin.

13. Jim- chad's snare sound is sooooo money though. if god played drums, that's what his snare would sound like.

seamus- yeah the live album is real tight in my opinion. can you believe 'entertainment weekly' (my mom subscribes) gave it an F? i had never considered mail bombing more seriously. ;)

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol yeah, I can't imagine them giving it an 'F'

I can understand if 311 isn't their thing really, but I thought it was pretty darn tight for a live release.

15. i think that from chaos is muuch better than soundsystem and the lyrics are well written as you said. i would have to say that transistor was my favorite album though. ive only seen em 3 times. you got one up on me.

16. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I bought the album. It's awesome. I like track 12 the best so far, but I haven't listened to the album to know all the songs that I like and stuff. Anyway, if you haven't bought it, go buy it! :)

17. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    from chaos is just an awesome album. i've been a hardcore 311 head for years and recently i've been beginning to lose faith in the band. while the music is ALWAYS hot, nick and sa's lyrics have been corny as hell at times. its not so much the messages in their songs that are corny... mainly for me, its the delivery... there are some songs like evolution, guns are for pussies, cant fade me (basically "filler songs", they seem) that make me cringe. it sucks, because for years when id listen to 311, i wasn't really into lyrics that much and now that i pay attention, i look at alot of their stuff differently. BUT... from chaos is just what i needed- they seem to have become aware of the 'corny-ness' and have 'weeded' it out. pnut's performance is awesome... tight, tasteful, in-the-pocket basslines throu the whole album. hes the man
    grassroots, transistor and from chaos are my favs

18. So is it worth buying or not? I don't have Music or Grassroots, should I get those first?

19. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    from chaos is good, if u like 311, get it. maybe you should get grassroots first... or music.... its your call man.

20. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    anybody got any tabs for new songs besides YWB? I love 311 they are my favorite band... I have figured out some riffs from tunes if anybody wants to exchange or such........