Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

32" scale 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 8, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    This isn't going to work is it? :eyebrow: Has it been done? :eek:

2. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    The shortest I know is 33". Now why not? Providing the fact that you use an "adapted" string gauge and that your neck is stiff enough, that should work...

Plus, you can use a tenor set up (E A D G C F B(?) or so) instead of the more "traditional" B E A D G C tuning.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd like one later when (if!) I finally get a six. As 5thstring said, you can tune it either way. I recall there was a post some time back on the Alembic Club where the poster said he had a 30.75 strung BEADGC and liked it.

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Seems like it should work just fine. Like 5thString, just a matter of finding the right strings. You may have to buy some special strings anyway depending on your bridge and headstock setup.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks all I didn't thinkit could be done. I didn't know you could get specialty strings like that. Well if he wants it that way i'll give it a try. Where would i get the strings? assuming "beadgc" tuning?Thanks again......t

6. I don't see a reason why not! don't they build millions of 6 string basses with 25" or so scales?!?!?

oh, sorry, wrong forum! :bag:

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I wouldn't say wrong, I almost wrote something similar. Check out Juststrings.com
    I don't know what kind of help they can offer since I haven't asked them anything, but they sure have a nice selection!

If you can set the tailpiece about 2 inches behind the bridge you should be ok for standard strings too.