1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

32" scale p.u location

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pudge, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I need some help with p.u. location on 32" scale bass project.I'm planning on using 2 kent armstrong split tube J- style p.u.'s.Any help appreciated.I'll post the details of this "project" when i get a few pics.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I would say that they should be placed about 16/17ths the distance of a 34" scale position.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I would agree with mikeyswood...

You're basically transforming the distances of a 34" scale bass' two pickups by the ratio of 32/34 (or 16/17ths if you reduce the fraction).

Of course, you could also place them elsewhere. Just because there are standard pickup placements doesn't mean that they are the best ones for every person or bass.

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Thanks, The thing is i don't have a jazz bass handy to mesure.The reduction in size is simple enough to figure

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  6. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    That's what i needed thanks.I have no prob. converting the data from 34" to 32" scale.I was gonna eyeball it,but i figured if i can get exact info i'd use that.Thanks again.This info is for a dano pro 1 bass project,using a modded cheapo first act 32" scale neck,pine body(frame) and armstrong split tube j style p.u.'s and either masonite like the danos or formica like a reverend for the top and back.I'll probably cut the body tommorow if time allows.I have a few pic and i'll take more and post them when i figure out how.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Bruce Gavin's site seems to be down, as well as Luke Sheridan's mirror. Since I just got a request for the pup placement info (my graphic is admittedly hard to read), I'll post a stripped-down version of the most recent version of Bruce's spreadsheet here. This is the basses info sheet only, as the whole document is enormous. Here you go, captain.

Attached Files:

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You, sir, are made of win.
    Any reason why BG's site is down? Just did a google on it and sure enough, the site is in the search, but the server can't be found. Same thing for Luke Sheridan's Digiviews...

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No idea why the sites are gone, there could be lots of reasons. Also, that's the latest version that I have, and it's over a year old; there could easily be a newer one somewhere.

10. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    MORE THAN 10 YEARS LATER!!!! i fount this thread usefull :)

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It's 2019 already?

:D

Glad it was useful.

12. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Jaja sorry! I saw 2001 somewhere.... In your join date i think... Any way thanks :)

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    DocHD.