32" scale, string problem(s)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by adamgottschalk, Jul 23, 2005.

1. adamgottschalk

Aug 24, 2003
    I've decided to tune both of my five-strings low B to G (like a real bass player :) instead of E to C, the way I had been doing. My tech is working on a short scale neck for me, which will be put on a tele-style bass body he also made. The body is string-through (the TK5 can also be strung up just on top). The first issue that comes up is that I'd like to use big fat strings, like 50-135, and can't seem to find (m)any short scale sets in that gauge. So my tech said I could buy, say, a regular (tapered) short-scale set, and then 4 (or whatever) regular length 135s, and he could take a few windings off the top, and solder them shut, to fit more easily through the tuning machine, and to bend more easily. Any other ideas? The other issue is the string-through issue. I've heard tell it's wise to use "tapered" strings, or at least strings thinner where they would go throught the body. Are so-called tapered strings tapered at both ends, or just the top, or just the bottom? Any suggestions much appreciated.