Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

32" Scale Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tactician, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Called into one of the best bass shops in London UK to buy strings the other day and found I had a choice of one - Rotosound RS 66M 40-90s. I was told my Aria Pro Bass wouldn't take a heavier string. Anyone got ideas on what else is out their that round wound. It seems it's the scale length that restricting my choice (I'm told):confused:

2. What???

You can put long scale strings on a 32" bass if you want to. You will just have much more string wound around the tuner, as you can't cut bass strings anywhere except in the silked core end. I used to have a 32" Stu Hamm, and I put 34" strings on it.

3. I picked up some Fender short-scale for my Hagstrom. As soon as the movers come tomorrow to give me my household goods, maybe I'll get them on this week....

Starting over again and I just rented a house. The basement is HUGE and PERFECT for music!!!!

4. Yes I know - I guess the guy in the shop was trying to be exact about this. I think you point would be particulary so with light strings - not sure how much I could have wound onto the post with heavy ones. I just thought there might be some other strings that would do the job on a 32" scale - I really like the scale length, especially as I come from a giutar background and everything feels a bit long on the bass!

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    GHS makes boomers in a 32" legnth, 2 gauges too.
    1) 45, 65, 80, 100
    2) 45, 65, 85, 105

Might help.

6. Thanks Stubbi that's really helpful. The current E is a bit slappy at only 90 so an option to go from 100 / 105 is really helpful. Although the Rotosounds 45-90 have a great sound generally - and the points others made about the harsh feel - well yes they were when absolutely new but after about 3-4 hours that went off nicely.