32" Scale Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tactician, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Called into one of the best bass shops in London UK to buy strings the other day and found I had a choice of one - Rotosound RS 66M 40-90s. I was told my Aria Pro Bass wouldn't take a heavier string. Anyone got ideas on what else is out their that round wound. It seems it's the scale length that restricting my choice (I'm told):confused:
  2. What???

You can put long scale strings on a 32" bass if you want to. You will just have much more string wound around the tuner, as you can't cut bass strings anywhere except in the silked core end. I used to have a 32" Stu Hamm, and I put 34" strings on it.
  3. I picked up some Fender short-scale for my Hagstrom. As soon as the movers come tomorrow to give me my household goods, maybe I'll get them on this week....

Starting over again and I just rented a house. The basement is HUGE and PERFECT for music!!!!
  4. Yes I know - I guess the guy in the shop was trying to be exact about this. I think you point would be particulary so with light strings - not sure how much I could have wound onto the post with heavy ones. I just thought there might be some other strings that would do the job on a 32" scale - I really like the scale length, especially as I come from a giutar background and everything feels a bit long on the bass!
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    GHS makes boomers in a 32" legnth, 2 gauges too.
    1) 45, 65, 80, 100
    2) 45, 65, 85, 105

Might help.
  6. Thanks Stubbi that's really helpful. The current E is a bit slappy at only 90 so an option to go from 100 / 105 is really helpful. Although the Rotosounds 45-90 have a great sound generally - and the points others made about the harsh feel - well yes they were when absolutely new but after about 3-4 hours that went off nicely.