1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SOLD $325 off Retail - Sterling by Music Man Ray35 Koa - 5 String MusicMan Stingray SR-5 Bass MINT/NEW

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sludgetail, Jun 1, 2019.

1. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    ***Save Off Retail $899***
    ===========
    $749 Shipped / As New NO Play Time - No Blemishes / No Marks / No Trades Pls
    ===========

*additional pics in thread below

If you're here you already know what this is -- the Sterling by MusicMan Ray35 with a brilliant Koa top over a Mahogany body, based on the figures-top Ball Family Reserve USA Stingray 5 or SR-5, Five String Bass... Mahogany body offers some fat tones and growl. These Koa-topped beauties sound & play phenomenal and leave nothing on the table, pure Stingray tone.

Sterling Ball said it himself right here on TB -- these Koa examples are the finest they've made to date... They use the same CNC routes and as such, there's not a thing that doesn't feel like a USA Stingray on this babe. Preamp is pure MusicMan magic, Alnico pickup is hard-hitting and gets articulate with both growl, deep notes and the slap... I have been a MusicMan fan and player since the early 90's (own plenty) and was extremely impressed by this instrument (read as: mind blown). So much so that it was going to be a backup in the band I play with (which was the only time I play a 5-string bass - no longer in that band).

Purchased about a month ago strictly as a backup, she's absolutely Mint, clean as day-one, kept in case and has not left the studio. She sounds phenomenal -- has that Stingray growl, great tonal options from midrange to scooped sound & grind, but at a huge cost savings to the end-user. I'd say she is a great bass at the price, but that's not doing her justice -- this is a great bass at any price. As peel-off sticker on guard says, these beauties get setup & inspected right here in Orange, CA before they get boxed-up & shipped, she plays clean, loud and proud.

Her Rosewood board is one of the darkest I've seen on ANY instrument -- there are no light areas on it; it's completely flush and it's not that weird rosewood with all the divots and imperfections or streaks... I wish Gibson & Fender boards still came like this.

Her Koa top is absolutely stunning, beautiful and attractive grain that changes from light to dark in different colors -- I lucked out and chose a good one. Hang tags and plastics still in place, original and BRAND NEW EB Slinky Strings (45-130 have not been used past a couple tone-checking notes -- dead clean & all zing is in tact)... Everything is as new; pickguard cellophane was removed to see if I’d keep the black guard, but bass has not been played for more than a 10 min tone check before being put back in her case.

Trying to keep it mega-affordable for TB'ers so I will cover shipping costs.

She ships in her original and brand new OEM Sterling Heavily Padded & Soft-Lined Gig Bag & includes original box, tags, etc.

Specs at Sweetwater ($899):
    Sterling Ray35 - Koa

Have sold for years on both Reverb (preferred seller) and decades on eBay, click the links to see my feedback and what people are saying. I pack well and you get my cell at purchase. Local Pickup in SoCal is okay and preferred; I'm in the city of Orange.

IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2659.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2661.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Wstrindade, basslifter, DrZ and 9 others like this.
  2. beautiful!

sludgetail likes this.
  3. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Thx brother!!!

eadg98005 likes this.
  4. feschyn

feschyn Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Is that a crack in the finish on the back or glare?

5. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    hi there, as mentioned, bass is absolutely mint but I can see what you mean -- that's just the aluminum part of the case reflecting on the back, thanks.

edit: here are some additional pics of the back; it is that clean to where it reflects everything :)

IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    feschyn likes this.
  6. sludgetail

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    pics of the pickguard/reflection - no swirl marks or scratches, untouched since purchase as a backup, minus tone check IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG .

feschyn likes this.
  7. bste9

bste9 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I know this is sold, but does anyone know the weight of the koa top variants?
    Thanks

8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I know this is a really late response but I just bought one and it's 9.5 lbs

bste9 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021