Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$33,600... for a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  2. That thing belongs on the wall of art gallery. It's beautiful but I would be afraid to play it.

3. Its nice looking, and I'm sure all the glue contributes positivley to the sonic characteristics.

Seriously though, couldn't you buy 5 plainer looking custom shop Conklins for that much money?

4. That's a collectors value. It's not what you'll pay to have it built.

5. That thing looks like the Zachary guitar made from "busywood."

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I don't really like it. I wouldn't spend 33,600 on it.

Wait a second! For 33,600 I could buy a car!

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is an awful lot to pay for a bass like that. I appreciate the time and effort that went into building it, however you could by a Warrior Archangel for less and they are even more beautiful.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ahh yes...the TB negativity I love so much. :)

That bass is a pure work of art. I would be honored to own that bass, sure 33k is expensive for a bass, but not only is expense relative I can think of worse things to blow money on. It should be recognized for the achievement that it is, and that includes being played on stage IMO. Bill C. should be mighty proud.

9. hehehe thats right the TB negativity hehehe.

just calculate how much some people spend on cigarretes!!! or beer!! or WEED!!! hehehe

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No negativity. One person said they didn't like it. No one has said its a waste or that it is useless, or that it is dumb, or that the owner is compensation for lack of skill. We all have said that it is a lot to pay for a bass, which it obviously is. No matter what, $33K is a lot to pay for a bass. Yes it is beautiful. It is a work of art. But it is an insane amount of money to spend on a bass. That is the point of the thread. Not about if it is a waste, or stupid, or whether the owner is compensating for his lack of skill or otherwise (that's saved for JT :D).

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    :eek: :eek: :eek: That thing is gorgeous! I doubt i'll ever have $33k sitting around that i could spend let alone on a bass, but wow-that thing is jaw droppingly awesome looking and since it's a conklin, i bet it plays as good as it looks. :eek:

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    w00t

You could buy 336 essex basses for that [​IMG]

13. I need my mommy to bring my clean underwear.

14. A little pricey, but it's quite a beautiful bass.

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Like someone else said- that's collectros price.

If one were to have a bass identical to that built, I bet that it could be had for less than $8,000, especially if you're already a Conklin player.

16. car... id have to have 10 cars before i dropped that kind of change on a bass, you could have a new lancer evolution for that price with plenty of money left for mods... or buy a used a z06 vette... or put a down payment on a house

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The colors and design look very 70's to me-like a design out of a roller skating rink or something. Groovy. I wonder if there's any noticable tone difference in the fretboard woods.

19. my mommy just bought it for me.

and now the government is auctioning our house :crying:

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    [​IMG]
    Funny, funny stuff.
    As for the bass, I think it's absolutely beautiful. The commission price on something like that, I'm sure, would be considerably less than the stated price. Would I choose to have something built that looks like that, regardless of price? No. Do I admire the craftsmanship and time put into it, as well as the finish product? Yes.