1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

33'' Fretless - Piezo Only 5 String

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Simo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. I'm using a Hipshot bridge fitted with GraphTech piezo saddles. I have made a couple of basses with a mag/piezo setup and although it gives you more tone options, I really like the simplicity (and tone) of a piezo only bass.

2. This build is finally complete. It's taken longer than expected, as I wasn't 100% happy with original finish on the body, so I decided to sand it back and re-finish it, this time using Liberon Finishing Oil (oil/varnish blend).

There's more photos on my website: www.simnettguitars.com/gallery6

fsvsyy.
    07jh9v.
    O59Ob1.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    The burning/branding detail is great. How did you get it made? Did you contract it out or something? Also, I notice that the edges of the branding are very clean and crisp. Most other branding attempts I see are a little bit brown around the edges. How did you achieve this?

4. The branding iron came from www.makersmarkbranding.com It just takes practice really, the success rate often depends on the wood species. If the wood is prone to burning around the edges, wiping it over with a damp cloth before branding can be beneficial.

JLW and Marial like this.
  5. Congrats! it looks great!

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Beautiful bass!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Question: are those black strings 'tapes', and if so- how well do they work with the GraphTech piezo?
    The Fishman/ Cort bridges are not sensitive enough.

7. Thanks. Yes, they're LaBella tapewound strings. I've used the same combination on several basses, never had any problems, they work great together.

JustForSport likes this.
  8. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm not usually a fan of natural finishes but that thing looks absolutely brilliant. Well done.

Will_White likes this.