33" scale 5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humabass, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    From time to time I see 33" scale 5 strings from Fodera,Nordstrand,etc. I know Fodera uses the extended B headstock design but how do the B's really sound and feel on these instruments?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'd be interested to hear as well, as the idea of a 33" scale always appealed to me. The extended B headstock has no real effect though, as the string tension breaks at the nut and anything further up doesn't affect tone or tension.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I dunno, lots of other factors could compensate for that short neck. I thought also that somebody said that scientifically that the extented headstock wouldn't make a difference, but the situation doesn't fit the scenario in which such a conclusion could be made. So it does make a difference.
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The extended B thing has been discussed to death. For anyone interested I would recommend reading the thread about Mike Pope's setup as he discusses it with some people there. There is quite a bit of info.

I think some people might tune their basses E-C who have a 33 inch scale, but as far as how the B string is on a 33 inch with extended B, Mike Pope made a good point. If they didn't work, Fodera would be getting returns from unhappy customers on all the basses they made with that setup.

I wonder if FunkyCarnivore's bass is tuned B-G? I'd be interested to know what he thinks.

I also asked Matt Garrison what he thought of his drop B tuner on his E string. He has a 33 inch scale, non extended tuner that drops his E string (with E string gauge) down to a low B. I figured that would be a floppy nightmare. He said it can be floppy but playing with the right technique it is definitely usable, or something to that effect.
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I have 4 33" basses in the works right now. Works great even with the B string. My fav scale length.

6. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Nice looking stuff, JP! So the B strings on the 33's sound defined and clear? I don't mind if a B string is a LITTLE floppy if it sounds good. Is there a body/neck wood combination that makes for a superior B or does it matter?