Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

33" scale fretless 6

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kimstevens, Mar 6, 2003.

1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi,

I am planning to have a custom fretless 6 built, and I might try having it made with a 33" scale. Does anyone out there have experience with shorter-scale fretlesses? I am particularly wondering if the 33" scale will cause noticably shorter sustain than a 34" scale. (Anything longer than 34" wouldn't work for me). I am thinking of a phenolic fingerboard, and a bolt-on neck.

Thanks,

Kim

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, from hearing a few ballads with Stanley Clarke playing his 32", I'd say that if there is a difference in sustain due to scale, it is minimal.

From a physical point of view, scale will have the least influence on sustain. The overall construction quality is the main decider, along with string quality. Look out for that.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The B string will be somewhat lower in tension. Assuming you will string it B-C. That would be all I would worry about. On the other hand, if you wanted to tune it E-F, I think that would be real nice.

I built a 33" scale fretless for a customer who is extremely happy with it. This was a 4 string, E-G. One of the first things he remarked about was the sustain, so it should not be a problem attributable to the scale.

4. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I believe there is a picture of someone holding a custom 33" 6 string (or maybe it was a 5) on Fodera's website www.fodera.com

if you go to gallery, then it's the first picture of someone holding a bass