33" scale....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all,

I'm having 3 basses built for me, and their construction should start right after the NAMM show; 2 Nordstrands and a Benavente. I got hooked on 33" scale from an R Bass that I had...the feel was AMAZING! I'm thinking about making the permanent switch to 33.
    Has anyone here done that, and if so, are you still digging the 33" scale? I'm betting the family farm that both Nords and the Bene will have a feel at 33 that will meet or surpass the R Bass.
    BTW, doesn't Matt Garrison play 33" basses? I thought that I read somewhere that his were all 33".
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Matt's is a 33" scale. His bass is tuned E-C.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't play a 33" but I once came across a 33" made by Keith Roscoe. It had a "B" string as good as any Fodera I've tried!:eek:
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wouldn't mind a 33

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    33" rules!

my favorite scale length by far

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I love my kubickis 32" so a bite more taughtness with the 33 would be nice aswell.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IIRC, the rick 2001 is about 33". It all depends on a zillion factors. Most of the time i prefer the sound and feel of a five with a 35" scale. even before i knwo what the scale length is. however, there are a bunch of 34" fives that are fantastic with outstanding b strings. Ditto for the kubuki basses and the alembic s.c. basses. I usually dont liek shorter than 34" fours but those basses just feel and play wonderful. So a good 33 should be cool. I wouldnt sweat it.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I really like the feel of 32" and 33" scale basses- very comfortable. My main axe is a Spector 5 with a 35" scale, and it bothers my wrist after awhile.. man do I wish I coudl get a 33" Spector..