1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

33Hz, Another Moral Issue ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bubble, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Uh oh, found a real one, well I think. I found out about the 33hz thing. Straight to the point , there are many discussions and claims that 33hz causes erotic stimulation in women. Maybe a harmonic of the characteristic hum in a male voice, like a Harley or some big airplane motor.
    But according to the articles I read, 33hz is the peak of effect frequency.
    Here, sit on the subwoofer baby. Fasten a chair on , what ever get her going LOL.

Now what happens if a listener doesn't know about that ? Is it unfair or intrusive ? We could eventually be challenged on that issue due to the large number of news and discussion articles. What happens if a root has 33hz in it unintentionally because it has the sound effect the artist wants ?
    Well I thought over and decided most everyone knows music changes and even makes moods. When people want to be stimulated for one thing or another, they listen to a song they think suits their mood. So just don't listen to it if you don't like 33hz.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I call nonsense on the claim....

T_Bone_TL, Flippy, Nashrakh and 3 others like this.
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    ********. There's always something like this bubbling about. There is quite a bit of power in music, we've all seen that, but as is the case with hypnosis, we all retain a free will. Even Plato wrote about the evils of the Phyrigian mode, claiming that it 'cause licentious behavior' in the youth. (Perhaps he was hoping it would help him get a date).

joebar and farshore like this.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you’re playing 33Hz notes you’re likely out of tune.
    Any discerning listener would be disgusted at this lack of
    professionalism, slide off that subwoofer and leave.

:)

BassFishingInAmerica and wizay like this.
  5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    A quick google reveals a number of articles on line claiming 33hz boosts your "Christ Consciousness"
    so any musician sued for `accidental exposure` to 33 hz can just claim to be doing it for Jesus.

JRA, knumbskull and farshore like this.
  6. Inkog

Inkog

Sep 1, 2017
    I have no idea if it's 33Hz, but I can confirm, without a shadow of a doubt, bass frequencies got me laid on several occasions... I owe a lot to a cheap Kicker 10" Bass Tube back in the 90's. It certainly wasn't my looks.

With that, I also owe an honorable mention to a beat-up, out of balance washing machine! It wasn't anywhere near 33Hz, maybe 2 or 3. :bassist:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Oddly and bholder like this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    33hz is getting into the sub frequencies. Thus, in most cases, it can't be heard. But it can be felt more than hearing it. It's what rattles the bones when you hear a sub frequency in a dance music tune or a gangsta rap song. It's what the masses hear and feel, and it has an effect on them.

But, that 33hz can cause problems within a mix. With other instruments that play the lower registers it can cause MUDDY tone in the overall sound of the song. Thus, if you tend to use the 33hz loud, know how it will impact the overall sound of the music you're playing.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I call BS.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The low B on a bass is 31hz. Plenty audible.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Im gonna play the low B around the house more often

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Oh my god !! what is the implication of playing a 33 HZ signal on an instrument tuned to 443 HZ ?!?!

This could have monumental consequences for the TB community.

12. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Have you heard of the "brown note?"
    Well, 33Hz is the B.S. frequency.

13. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    ... and D minor is the saddest of all keys. It makes people weep instantly.

Brother Goose and knumbskull like this.
  14. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    A=440 Hz in standard tuning, so low C# on a fiver or four-string with an octave pedal = 34.648 Hz. Tune down a half step (equivalent to A=415.305) and you get 32.703. Set your Snark to A=419 and you get 32.994.

Hm...

15. There's been a bit of research done on the resonances of the human body, and some of the findings might help explain your question. See the great diagram halfway down this page: Does the human body have a resonant frequency? If so, how strong is it?

Notice these resonances:

Head: 20-30 Hz
    Shoulders: 4-5 Hz
    Chest cavity: 50-100 Hz
    Abdominal mass: 4-8 Hz

Now this is pure conjecture on my part, but seeing as how the body is a continuous and compartamentalised system, you have regions of resonance and maybe in between those you have transition areas. I reckon, if you hit 33 Hz, for example, you will trigger a bit of the head (eye sockets range from 20-60 Hz), and a bit of the chest, but also I reckon in between the Abdominal mass and the chest you might find an area resonating at 33 Hz (the warm fuzzies area) and possibly in a much more private area 33 Hz works, and in the groin this resonates.

Not everyone's reaction to being vibrated on their private parts is going to be ecstasy, however, if it's what you're looking for it's conceiveable that this frequency, or a range of frequencies near 33 Hz, are enough to stimulate this area (and others).

This is very interesting stuff, not only does a room have a resonant frequency, but the human body does as well. Many, in fact.

16. Careful mixing, and cutting bass freqs from channels that don't need it (a crossover works great for this in concert with the eq) can clean up the mix. You want that punch the low freq gives you, but trumpets don't need that bass punch, for example.

17. Turn your speakers/headphones down before playing this, around 30 Hz, coincidentally!, this vid spans human hearing:

18. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Thought I was gonna get lucky at a gig years ago. Not sure what frequencies I was playing but this drunk chic kept making eyes at me and rubbing herself on the subwoofer. Flashed me a couple of times...licking her lips with her hand in her pants...all kinds of the "right" signals. By the halfway point of the third set she was passed out on the dance floor in front of me with her shirt half off and her pants unzipped. Bouncer goes to drag her out and suddenly a "boyfriend" shows up. I could watch the ensuing frivolity through the big picture windows that covered the front of the bar. Story of my life...

19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I think that is the exact frequency that makes people believe any old rubbish on the internet.

it's also a nightclub in Guildford, no word on any moral issues involved there.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Not sure this is a General Instruction thread.