34" 5 Stringers with good B's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Oct 26, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I've played both a SKyline 55-02 and Stingray 5r's and love the tone and feel of the
    B strings, but I don't like the 35" scale.

I know Pedulla makes a 34" 5 string, and Fenders seems to be hit-or-miss,

I like the shape and size of the 55-02 neck, never tried a Pedulla 5.

Are there any others that have good B's that I should consider?
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sadowsky would be the obvious choice, I would think. Or a pre-Gibson Tobias.

3. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    stingray SR5's are 34".

check out a smith, too. haven't heard of any complaints about the B on them.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't know what you're price range is. Pedulla is a great choice. I actually like the less expensive bolt-on's more than the neck throughs. Great little basses.

I love the older 34" scale 5er's from Tyler. Amazing basses. I'm surprised Tom doesn't have one yet. ;)
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its all been said, but +1 to the B's on Sadowsky, Pedulla (ALL models), and stingrays. All three have first class Bs. On the pedullas, I prefer the "thunder" basses of either neck construction. That pickup config and preamp sound amazing.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'll add another vote for the Pedulla. I also agree I personally like the sound of the Thunderbolt. New, both the Pedulla and Sadowsky are crazy money. The Sadowskys seem to hold resale value a bit better, so you can sometimes find a used Pedulla for less.
  7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've tried out several 5stringers in the lighter weight categories for my girlfriend and think that the Ibanez SDGR3005 is great. That being said, I didn't like any of the other Ibanez 5strings because I couldn't hear a note when hitting the low B, whereas with the 3005 it comes through as discernable, and not just a low frequency.

Although she felt they were too big for her, she also really loved the sound of the 5string Stingrays.

I've been trying to talk to Sheldon Dingwall about doing his new shorter scale, which he uses on the SuperJ in a Z or Prima body style, :hyper: appropriately sized down, but Barry said that they would have to at least wait until SuperJ production was running smoothly before looking into any new projects. :(
  8. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I can say from experience that Ken Smith USA and Conklin USA produce 34" scale basses with superb B strings in both bolt-on and neck-thru.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been pleased with the B strings on my Bongos, Sadowsky, and my new G&L L2500. There are so many factors that create a good bass tone that I think you can fine tune the B string with something as simple as a string swap.

Fer example--when I got my G&L, it had Dean Markley Blue Steels, and an indistinct B string. A quick swap to some Sadowsky flats, and the B is now matching the rest of the strings perfectly.
  10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I recently had a chance to play a Benaventene whose B sounded like Gods voice. Iv'e never heard or felt a B string that was as taught or as beefy sounding. I was playing throught Schroeder 1212. If any of you get a chance to check one out I DEFFINETLY reccomend trying one.
  11. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    The 34" Zon has a good B.
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Yamaha has a nice B.
  13. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    +1 for KSB, I've got a 55-01 and a BTB1005, both 35". But my BSR5 has the most balanced, natural sounding B string of the bunch.
  14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Anonther thing to consider is the string itself. Sadowsky Stainless is the best B I've heard for a 34" scale by far. Labella Hard Rockin Steels, Pedulla Stainless, and the slinky .130 are all good on 34" as well.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky has the best 34 5 string i have played. Infact Sadowsky makes the best 5 string overall I have ever played. :bassist:
  16. hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    Wal`s have an amazing B and a 34" scale. Very tight sounding, strung with Rotosound`s.
  17. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Honestly, one of the best 34" scale B strings I have ever played was a USA Hamer Cruise Bass with a 2-tek bridge. It seriously kicked some butt and I often thought it sounded more focused than my F-Bass. I only sold it because the string to string spacing was too narrow for me. Other than that, I have gigged with a Pedulla Thunderbolt that had an amazing B String.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender's reputation for "hit-or-miss" B strings is in my experience undeserved. Every USA built one I've played has been quite nice, including my Jazz V and a few others including some Roscoe Beck Vs. Not sure about the Mexico and Japan Fender Vs.
  19. One vote positive for the Mexico, but it's because I only own one. Some might say I got lucky, but it sounds and plays great. :bassist:
  20. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Pedulla is my vote all the way. I've owned a Thunderbolt 6 which I recently upgraded to a Thunderbass 5. Both had amazing B's although I prefer the sound and feel of the neck-through model.