1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34" 5 strings with 16.5 or 17 mm spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Feb 24, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Before very very long it will be time to get a fretless...
    I really love the string spacing on my Tobias - that feels just right in my hands.
    But I'm probably not gonna have funds for another Tobias anytime soon :rollno:
    The MTD's (including the imports) have 35" scale and wider spacing. So sadly, they get ruled out.
    So as I start to look around - what other 5 strings have 34" scale length and 16.5 or 17 mm spacing?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I have been told that MTD American basses can be ordered with 17mm string spacing, but have never witnessed one myself. I might take that plunge some day, but it's a lot of coin, and I already have two 5ers that don't see a lot of playing time.

I have an ACG Recurve with a 34" scale and 17mm string spacing. Feels great.

Warwick 5-bangers have 16.5mm string spacing, and, if I'm not mistaken, also come as 34" scale. Love those necks, do not like the 4-string ones.

I'm the same boat as you, love the 17mm spacing of old Tobias basses. Even my StringRay5 with 17.5mm is almost too wide for me.

3. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    There are two kinds of bassists in this world...those who like wide spacing and everyone else...

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... those who undertand binary and those who don't. :D

Back on topic - other narrow (16.5 or 17 mm) spacing suggestions?

5. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

Stingray 5?

It's pretty narrow as the neck's only 1.75" at the nut and 2.75" at the last fret. Musicman doesn't list the spacing but my quick (not very precise) measurement shows between 17 and 18mm at the bridge. Fretless SR5s are really nice, but I may be biased because I just bought one... :D

6. Ibanez SR series. I think the Cirrus basses are 17.5mm.

lowsound

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Ibanez and Warwick.

8. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Ibanez Gary Willis Sig basses. I think the Ken Smith Burner Basses are close to that as well.

9. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Pedulla, 34" and 17.5mm.

Lonnybass

10. I played one of these today. Oh my. It was a lovely bass.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'm really fond of the Ibanez SRX series, maybe an SRX595?

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    StingRay 5
    Warwick Thumb or Corvette 5
    G&L L-2005
    Fender Dlx V

13. Ibanez ATK305 - 17mm spacing, 34" scale - sound sgreat.

Jamie

14. Second the Pedulla.

15. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    you can order an mtd 34" scale - no upcharge that i'm aware of, with whatever spacing you like...

i'm surprised zon hasn't been mentioned...17mm spacing is standard with a 34" scale...excellent basses...their fretless basses are pretty tough to beat at any price point, and can had used for a song

16. Warwick (as already mentioned...)

and Musicman (especially the Bongo 5)

fretless Warwicks have an ebony board, Bongos have a pau ferro board - and this makes a difference in sound (I prefer pau ferro at present).

also, if you want a lined board, Warwick charges $300+ extra for it, but MM doesn't.

I had a fretless corvette and gave it up for a fretless bongo, no regrets at all.

good luck!

17. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    My Zon 'Vinny' VB5 is 34"/17mm and, IIRC, Sonus is also.

18. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you like your old Tobias, the Pedulla is definitely a good option. Similar feel, electronics and sound. Be careful though, a lot of the Pedullas our there of late have 19mm spacing. The 17.5 Pedullas are becoming harder to find.

19. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i believe Zon's are 34" with 17mm spacing

20. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Carvin do 5 strings in 34" also 6 strings in 34" with narrow string spacing.

You can get piezo for acoustic-like tone.

If you want fret lines it is an upcharge of 30$