1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34" bass VI strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frank Talarico, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Frank Talarico

Frank Talarico

Aug 21, 2018
    Howdy, I was wondering if someone could tell me what gauge of kalium hybrids to get for a 34" bass vi project. Thanks! Kalium is slow to respond via email, so I thought to check here.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd look up the gauges for the lightest BEADGCF 7 string 34" set you can find and omit the thickest one. That's a good starting point at least.

Frank Talarico likes this.
  3. Frank Talarico

Frank Talarico

Aug 21, 2018
    Oh great idea, thanks!

4. Frank Talarico

Frank Talarico

Aug 21, 2018
    They have a lot of gauges... I use a 136 set for my regular bass, what should my E string be? Something lighter for chords?

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    So EADGBE on 34".
    Kalium have sets for EADGCF 6 String Sets - Standard Scale - Balanced Tension - Hybrid Bass Strings - Shop By Material - Electric Bass Guitar you could then detune the top 2 strings.

It sounds like you want a lower tension for this instrument?
    How about, one string at a time, detuning the EADG(C) strings on your regular bass until they feel like what you want, then using the Kalium tension calculator to find what tension that is, then use that tension to choose your gauges?
    Kalium recommend exceeding 30 pounds tension on lower bass strings for the best tone, so a low tension set could be just above 30 pounds? That suggests the set with a .090 on the bottom.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    The D'Addario bass VI set has string tensions of roughly 30 pounds so that may be suitable.

7. Frank Talarico

Frank Talarico

Aug 21, 2018
    Would the bass vi sets not be too short since they're intended for 30" scale?

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    They're longer than common short-scale strings, because of the vibrato assembly but, as far as I know, their full winding length is 35.5". It might fit on your 34" sixer, but it might not. First of all, the bridge has to have a toploading option (through-body-only would automatically disqualify the D'Addario/Fender/La Bella bass vi sets). Second, the distance between the ball-end anchoring and the saddle of the highest string (which tends to be the least compensated one, ergo the closest to nominal scale) should be at or less than 1.5".
    Of course I may misremember, and the D'Ad (or the Fender) set may be 36" long at the tapering point (I doubt it's longer than that). You might as well get one and just see if if it fits (they're cheap).

9. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Sorry, my post was confusing. I meant '... so 30 pounds tension may be suitable for a Kalium set', i'm not suggesting using a bass VI set, i'm suggesting using normal bass strings at around 30 pounds tension.

The D'Addario bass VI set may not be long enough to reach all the tuner posts, if there is a headstock-end taper on the larger strings that taper may not be beyond the nut. Also, that set is very tension imbalanced and top heavy.