1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34" Cirrus!! Do my eyes deceive me?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeremyr, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
  2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Someone here at talkbass said that the 34" scale is a misprint on the Peavey page. You might want to double check that before buying if the scale length matters alot to you.

3. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    Seems to be only on the bolt-on. I wonder how the B string feels compared to the neck through 35". I'd like to try one. I wonder if it is a misprint on the website.

4. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    Le Sigh.

I had a gorgeous flamed redwood at one point, but the length was just too much for me.

5. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    The older Cirrus BXP's were 34" scale.

6. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    that was only the 4 string though if i'm not mistaken. Not to mention the string spacing feels like 16.5mm to me

7. I have a Cirrus 5 bolt-on and it is 35" scale. I don't know for sure if they all are, but if scale length is important to you then you might want to check further. This wouldn't be the first Peavey scale length misprint. Peavey's Forum 5 manual states that the scale length is 34", but all the Forum 5's that I have are 35" scale and as far as I know there never were any made with 34" scale necks.

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    So did I! Same result - first position was just a bit too much for my stumps...

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I have heard rumor that the custom orders can be done in 34s...

I've played a few.. unsure if they were flukes, tests, prototypes or custom requests.

Have you called them?

10. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Anyone know why the Cirrus Custom Shop is no longer on Peavey's website?

11. Keep your eyes out for a Peavey TL-5, basically the same bass with a 34" scale.

lowsound

12. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    I'd like to know why as well. I've been looking for a way to contact the custom shop all morning with no success.

does it have that "cirrus" sound? I'm very intersted in obtaining another as the feel of the base was absolutely amazing.

13. I just scored a clean one on Ebay. I actually like them better than the Cirrus. I much prefer the woods and finish they used on them.

14. Mine sounds like a cirrus, so I would say that yes, it has the cirrus sound. Also, Peavey shut down the cirrus custom shop.

lowsound

15. Rev.Dr.

Rev.Dr.

Oct 4, 2007
    Metro Atlanta
    does it have that "cirrus" sound? I'm very intersted in obtaining another as the feel of the base was absolutely amazing.[/QUOTE]

I have a TL-5 and a US Cirrus 6. The Basses have different tonal characteristics IMO. They are both great basses! BTW I prefer the Cirrus although the TL-5 is more versatile.

16. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    let me know when you fall out of love with it :)

17. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    Well Peavey replied to my email and this is what they said:

"Hello,
    All of the Cirrus should be 35" scale.
    The string spacing is:
    70mm B to G string & 17.5mm from string center to string center
    Thanks,
    Aubrey

Peavey Customer Service
    "

SIGH!!!!!!!!!

Well now i'm looking for a tl-5!

18. I have a TL-5 and a US Cirrus 6. The Basses have different tonal characteristics IMO. They are both great basses! BTW I prefer the Cirrus although the TL-5 is more versatile.[/QUOTE]

IMO the TL-5 cops the Cirrus sound quite well, it isn't exact, but almost indistinguishable. The late year or so of them actually had the same electronics as the Cirrus, so if you are really patient, you could keep your eyes out for one of those.

lowsound

19. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I have 2 TL5's and 3 TL6's and I also believe they are a better instrument then the Cirrus. And yes the later TL's had Cirrus electronics.

20. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    That's a shame. Looks like when I might be able to finally get a custom Cirrus, they shut down shop :(.