Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

34" scale 5-string recommendations.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaMaGe, Inc., Feb 11, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a good fretted 5-string. I'd prefer a 34" scale bass, with a fairly flat neck, so it shouldn't feel like I'm holding a baseball bat. Neck width isn't too much of an issue I think. I'm not really a slapper btw, mostly play metal/rock.

Price range? Up to about a €1000,- should be doable. May take me more time than I'd like to save that up, but I want a bass that will keep me satisfied for many years to come so I'm willing to spend some extra cash.

Thnx in advance.

2. Tune 5 (goes for about $650.00)
    Roscoe Beck 5 (will need to save some more)
    Pedulla Rapture 5 (will need to save some more)
    Pedulla 5 (anymodel) (will need to save some more)
    Ibanez BTB models
    Peavey Cirrus 5 (will need to save some more)

to name a few

3. These 2 are both 35" scales. If ya want a 34" scale, check out a Stingray 5. You should be able to get a used one for the price your looking for

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'd get a used Ken Smith. I love Ken Smiths -- everyone I pick up is better than the one that preceded it.

5. Basses I have owned:

Stingray 5
    G&L L-2500

Basses I have played and would recommend

Fender Deluxe V

Basses I hear good things about:

Fender Roscoe Beck V

Stingray is without a doubt has the best 34" B string I have had in my hands. It is my current #1 and likely to stay that way for a good long while. Save until you can afford the best, but if money is a huge issue, I would recommend a G&L Tribute L-2500, as long as you don't mind narrow string spacing. Then you can get what you want later down the road and have a sturdy yet inexpensive backup.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I really love the sound of Roscoe Beck 5's. but I find the necks to be a bit on the deep and chunky side.

7. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Try the Zon Sonus if you have the opportunity. The "regular" Sonus V sounds very much like a vintage Fender Jazz with a maple fretboard. The Sonus Custom model has a bit stronger bottom, and those electronics may be a bit better suited to the low B. The graphite neck goes a long way toward providing solid fundamental response without dead spots.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

F basses are pretty good too, they're 34.5", but they're pretty comfortable. :)

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Although a less expensive bass than what others mentioned, I'd say the Peavey Fury. I tried the 6-string version and the neck is fast, thin, and flat. 34" scale. That bass certainly looks, feels, and sounds like a more expensive bass.

Yamaha has some excellent basses too.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Musicman SR-5 you can get one used for about $1000.
    I think its the best 34" 5 string.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a friend that plays some pretty hard edged alternative rock,
    uses a SR5 with a brass pick. That thing sounds amazing.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can swing the price i highly reccomend Sadowsky Basses, they are the very best in fit finish and playability. If your looking for a basic 5 string a Sadowsky Metro would fit the bill.

13. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 for a G&L 2500.
    But go for the USA G&L.
    You can get these used for cheap.

danman

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Save your cash, buy a used Zon Sonus

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I vote for trying to find a used Ken Smith. I have compared my Smith with a Yamaha TRB5, an MTD 535, a Kinal, 3 StingRays, an MTD Kingston, a Schecter 5 and a Warwick Thumb 5, and the Smith has the best B-string of any of them (save the MTD 535, which also has an incredible B-string) and the Smith has without a doubt the most comfortable neck of all.

I always hear that StingRays have a good B-string, but the 3 that I have had didn't have a good one, always seemed full of overtones.

Sadowskys and Zons also seem to get high marks on their B-string, but I have not tried them.

For your price range, I guess a Fender Roscoe or a Lakland Skyline are more realistic than actually finiding a used Smith/Zon/Sadowsky.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 or a used Smith, but I do totally love my Zon!!!

17. Are all of these basses being recommended 34" scale?

I know Laklands aren't, but are Sadowskys?

18. The Sadowskys are 34" scale. If you have the $$$, get a Metro 5.

19. for 1000eu you can get a pretty sweet bass. correct me if i'm wrong but thats about 1500 american?
    i'd recommend carvin and warmoth for custom, and some of the high end ibanez and middle range warwick vette's for regulars

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    try and find yourself a nice used Zon Sonus stanard. I have 10 basses but my red Zon goes to EVERY gig with me. 'nuff said.