1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34" strings on a 35" scale bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by yellofury, Nov 13, 2006.

1. will they work ???
    I used the search function and didnt get any answers
    just wondering before i tear open this package of D'Addarios

Also these are for a 6 string as IM tuning my 5 string Spector
    EADGC but why would D'Addario make a 6 string set 34" scale??
    do 34" scale 6 strings exist????

2. bump

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, if the string in 34" long then now, they're not going to fit.

However, if we're talking about strings intended for use on a 34" scale bass, then yes, they'll fit as long as you leave some room at the top of them (and provided it's not a 35" scale bass with thru-body stringing).

4. well all the strings fit nicely except for the E string
    because the actual wound part started past the nut to the middle of the first fret
    (I dont know the actual terminology but where the string actually become the thickness it needs to be)

So i kept the Spector E string and placed it back with no problems
    I took a few hours to setup saddle and pups
    but now i have to say i very happy at the setup

thanks for the help

5. The actual spec we need to focus on here (but rarely can ever find) is the "winding length" of the string.

About ten years ago I bought a used Modulus, which I no longer have, but at the time I was using GHS 5-string Boomers on my other 34" basses, and didn't want to pop the cash for dedicated 35" strings. So, I tried the new set of Boomers I had around, and lo and behold, they fit fine, EXCEPT on the fifth string I had to trim some of the winding silk off the top where it goes over the nut. Using a single-edged razor blade, I made a little incision, and voila! She was ready to play.

I used Boomers on both my other 34" basses, and didn't use the Modulus so much over the years, but upon buying a newer set of the same brand of string for the 34" basses, I noticed that the winding length of the fifth string seemed to be less than it had been in the past, so somewhere along the way GHS changed the winding length.

I now own a 35" Ibanez (BTB), and was talking to a bass playin' buddy who plays a Lakland Skyline (also 35"), and he said he just throws on sets of Ernie Ball 5-String Bass Slinkys, and says they work fine. That's why I reacted to this thread, looking for someone with info on what 34" strings would work on 35" basses. Obviously through-body stringing is likely out, but luckily I don't have that problem with the Ibanez.

So who else has experience with this? I need to buy some strings soon!

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't play 5 strings but I have a 35" scale ESP 4 string. I have always used DR Hi Beams on it without any problems. DR also makes what they call "Long Necks" which are intended for long scale basses but I've yet to try them. I don't know if this helps because it seems the issue is with the B string, which I am obviously missing. Good luck.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I just now put some DA'd Long scale,lt. ga., XL Chrome Flats on my Skyline 55-01 and to my surprise even thru the body I have the cloth winding into the first fret on all 5 strings. I've had these in my gig bag for some time just to try em out. I recently ordered from Lakland their SS rounds to replace what came with my 55-01,(not bad $22 a set, ordered a set of nickels too for that price) they fit thru the body great but since new they are really zingy and just trashing my fingertips. Since I got a call for a trad blues audition I decided this morning to try those Chromes on my 55-01 and they sound very nice and feel great on my fingers, I thought I would have to mount em thru bridge but seems they are too long even thru body. I just now put em on so I still have not tried to trim the cloth back but I tuned em up, set the harmonics and I can even play on the first fret over the cloth with no problem. I'll leave em on awhile, play the bass some thru the day and I guess for asthetics(sic)sake trim back the cloth with a razor blade if I decide to keep em on. If I dont get the blues gig I still have those harsh ass rounds to put back on but those flats feel real nice. Those Chromes were about $32 when I bought em about a year ago back in TX.