1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

34", through-the-body, 5-string sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nikoubis, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    It seems that am in a string-trying mood, so my wallet is about to beg for mercy. :atoz:

I play a US-made G&L L-2500 that I exclusively string through the body (I will not consider stringing even a single string through the bridge, after an incident I had some time ago).

With that in mind and in order to avoid wasting money, could you guys give me info on sets that are long enough for me? I know that DRs and Dunlops definitely are, as are obviously Daddario super long scale sets. I am not certain on a few others though. For example, I cannot find anything about Dean Markleys' length. Or, regarding GHS Boomers, I can see that they offer a super long scale 4 string set but do not seem to have a super long scale low B. Elixir on the other hand offers a super long scale 5 string set but the low B is tapered, so it will probably be unsuitable for through the body stinging.

Any insight on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Not trying to derail, but I'm curious what sort of incident.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Ernie Ball have always been long enough.
    D'Addarios are constantly too short.

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Elixir also has a non-tapered B available.

5. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    But is it long enough to go through the body? The only super long scale B I see on their site is a .130 tapered. If you or someone else could confirm that their standard long scales will do, I will be glad to give them a try.

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    There's nothing wrong with stringing a tapered B through the body, in fact I prefer it. I strung the tapered Elixir B through the body many times.

7. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    So when strung this way, it is the un-tapered part of the string sits on the saddle? If this actually works without issues, the G&L just might have a set of Elixirs on it by Sunday's rehearsal. :D

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fender Super Bass 8250, which are specifically designed for Fender's through-body bridges and are the OEM strings for models equipped with same. I think they're excellent strings too, with good, balanced tone and amazing durability.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    No. The tapered part sits in the saddle. I personally think it makes setup and intonation of the B string much easier.

10. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico
    I have an Ibanez SR900 (they no longer make them), and it has the option to strung through the body, which I always do. I just bought a new set of Blue Steels and it fits really well, I don't know about other models from Dean Markley but I'm going to buy a SR2000 after the Blue Steels are dead, I hope they fit as well.

11. kful

kful

Apr 25, 2009
    Garden Grove, CA
    After doing this, I know longer worry about stringing through the bridge.

Thanks Ken Baker!

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    D'Addario Super Longs
    DR
    Ken Smith
    Carvins
    Sadowsky Super Longs

I always liked D'Addario XL170-5 Super Longs on my G&L fiver.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Dean Markley SR2000s will work through body on a 34" bass. Great string to boot.