Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

34" to 35" and back again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CJY, Jul 10, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hello,
    I was wondering whether there is anyone out there who started playing on a 34" bass,tried to switch to a 35" bass but couldn't adapt,and switched back.If you made the switch,how long did it take for you to get used to the 35" scale?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I switch regulary. It doesn't bother me at all.

3. Yeah, I don't notice the difference much either. The only time I really feel the difference is when I'm doing a bass line with a lot of finger stretches in the first position.

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    My four-stringer is a 34" scale and my fiver is 35", I really can't feel too much of a difference past the first four frets, it doesn't bother me at all to switch between the two

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "I was wondering whether there is anyone out there who started playing on a 34" bass,tried to switch to a 35" bass but couldn't adapt,and switched back.If you made the switch,how long did it take for you to get used to the 35" scale?"

As long as it takes to strap it on (or sit down with it);). I even switch between 34" and 35" fretlesses. Granted, I don't play above the third fret:D

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My 4 is a 34" and my 5er is a 35". I have no trouble whatsoever switching between the two. My DP custom that is in the works is going to be a 36" scale, so I'll have three different basses with three different scale lengths. Man, ain't I cool??:D:D

7. I haven't had any trouble, except trying to switch from a 34 fretless to a 35 fretless that got a bit getting used to, but with fretted ones, nope.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, me too. I switch back and forth at the same gig sometimes. I don't even notice.

9. My 5 is 35 and a half inch fretless. No switching problems at all.