34" vs 35" Scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tom Magri, May 30, 2005.

1. I am considering a new bass on noticed that some companies make a 35 1/4 scale bass. What is the benefit of the longer scale length? I'm currently playing a Fender Jazz Bass.
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    for me 35,also in 4 stringer,but the most tipic is 4 strings 34 and 5 strings 35,for me this its my rule
  3. Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    If you're playing a Fender, which if I remember correctly only makes 34" scale, you might want to stick with a 34" just so you can get used to the new one faster. Then again, when I got my 5-string, it has a 35" scale, and I'd come from a 34" and I transitioned fairly quickly. 35's are really more used for 5-strings though as it tends to tighen up the low B a bit. It really depends on what you're buying though, and the only way to find whats right for you is to go out and play around on everything that I can get your hands on. Good luck.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have 2 basses with a low B string, both are 34" scale and both sound fine. I don't believe that you need a 35" scale bass for a good B string. You just need a good bass.
  5. My 4 and 5 string basses are 34, my 6 string is a 35, i dont really notice too much difference
  6. Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    I've heard that 35' basses have a greater sustain compared to 34'. However, having played and owned plenty of basses I haven't noticed any difference at all. I think sustain usually boils down to construction of your bass (whether it's aneck through or a bolt-on)
  7. professorfrink

May 31, 2005
    Ive got an ESP DF-404, 35", and neck-through, and the sustain is awesome :bassist: My first post!!
  8. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Sting tension. With a longer scale you can apply more string tension (assuming the same string width) so for example the B string on a 5 or 6 will not get floppy.

I notice the difference between 34" and a 35" scale in both tension and reach.
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I KNOW scale length can make a difference, but all things being equal the difference between a 34" and 35" is pretty minimal. I've played 34" low B's that were great and 35" low B's that absolutely sucked, it's all in the bass. Try different basses until you find what you like, I wouldn't pay any attention to the scale length, unless it happens to be a 37" low B :ninja: