Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

34" VS 35"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i2k, Nov 26, 2001.

1. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I'm in doubt....Is it true that a 35" bass has a better sounding B string compared to 34" bass ? 34" sounds floppy or weak ?

If it so, why Nathan East and John Pattitucci choose 34" for their bass ? I believe musicians at their level won't accept nothing than the best.

2. This discussion has been done to death. I'm not trying to be a (insert expletive here), but you should try searching for threads on the subject.

To give a short answer, I think that it's the opinion of most here that the quality of the B-string on a bass is due more to how well built the neck is as opposed to the increased scale length. However, the increased scale certainly can't hurt as long as it's done right.

3. I've read a lot of technical mumbo jumbo that says a 35" scale makes for a better B string due to the laws of physics and such. But a well-made 34" scale bass can have a pretty meaty B string with no problems. I own both a 35" and a 34" 5 string and am more the pleased with the sound of both. Not to mention the million other factors that affect the basses sound i.e, technique, string type, pick-ups, amp, humidity. etc. Spend your money on a good bass and you'll have no problems.

jeff in chicago

4. Actually, that's one excellent point. So long as you spend your money on a pretty decent bass your technique is the most important thing, in my opinion. This is no way is meant to suggest that my technique is flawless, or even good for that matter. :p

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Before you get mad, I saw the thread, I felt that it was interesting, so I posted. I know it's been done to death, but so has "got my new bass!!!!" I've owned two Carvins, Yamaha TRB, Stingray and Warwick Corvette Standard, all 34". The best B sound has been on my Cirrus 5 with a 35" scale.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have 2 34" basses with a killer B string. But my 35" Peavey Cirrus is on a whole other plane of existentialism. The B on it kills any other bass that I have ever played, except for a Modulus Quantum or a Roscoe.

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i can't speak for JP or Nathan East, but you know, the 34" vs. 35" issue affects the other strings too, not just the B string. I'm sure their decisions to go with 34" as opposed to 35" took into account other factors as well?
    i guess i'm saying that it's not necessarily logical to assume that JP or NE would only accept the best, thus 34" = better B string.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nope, not necessarily. That's not just my opinion, but that of people who have a lot of expertise.

Strings-through-body is one common way to get a taut B. What Da5id mentions about the neck is true, too. Stability is key, so laminations and graphite are ways to achieve this.

Even 34" basses without strings-through-body or exceptionally stabile necks can have fine B string. They do it through emphasis on the woods used/bridge density/neck joint firmness/and the string-down force on the bridge saddles among other factors.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm working with a well known luthier for a project. i built necks a nd body in different woods and scale and compared how they sound with the same electronic. said that the sound can be relative and everyone can have different opinion without being in error i think:
    first come the woods. the kind of woods and their quality is the first thing that can make a bass sound better than another with the same electronic. the real imrpovement of the 35" neck is that it increase in a certain way the sound or the B string expecially. but 35"scale neck with high quality woods and electronics are for me useless. really too much sound!! what i honestly think is that a 35" scale neck is good on mass produced basses. due to the "increased sound" they cover a little the tonal characteristic of not so good woods. personally i prefer a 34" with the right woods.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I already posted a few times to the other thread, so I'll just say this: since scale length is one of many factors involved, longer scale length makes it more likely to have a good B, just as being taller makes you more likely to have a good jump shot.

11. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Have you test the sound of Cort Artisan B5 ? Honestly, I start this thread to help me decide to buy this bass or not as I do't have opportunity to test it myself (I will buy via mail order).
    I think this bass has all it takes to be a good bass: wenge neck, ash body, Barts electronic, even though its only 34".

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

i2k, the Artisan is one of the best buys in low priced basses. It's comparable to some basses costing twice as much.

Are you getting fretted or fretless?

13. the B string on a 35" is tighter, but not by definition better sounding..

14. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I've got a Tobias that has a great B and it's a 34, I have owned Laklands, play a Roscoe mostly , I've got a Reverend 5 (all 35s) and have a couple of Yamaha's(34s) the two Yams are different( the ealier made one in '90 is better) so I think it has more to do with the quality of the wood, probably selection and the curing process as well as lamination process.

The 35s will more give you a more likely chance that the B will be good (the inexpensive Reverend has a great B too) where the 34s need to be very well, made.

I like the roscoe more for the eveness of tone from string to string where I really like the Laklands B. Most tout the Roscoes for their B, while it's very good but that's not the main thing about them for me, I like their fit and sound where the laklands don't fit me.
    If you go cheap go 35, if you like a normal scale and a sweeteer treble string sound, get a well made 34.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, just to add my kicks to this dead horse ( :D ) i've got a 34" scale neck through and a 35" scale neck through, both strung with a low F#, below low B,both made by conklin. the low F# responds a bit better, basswise, on the 34", but that's probably due to pickup placement (the 35" scale has 36 frets, so the pickup, a MM style, is fairly close to the bridge.

needless to say, both necks are extremely rigid. in fact, i've never had a problem with any of my conklins' low end response, bolt on or through body - shoot, their tunings don't even drift when they're not played.

16. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    well, heck, there ya go!
    compromise is always the best policy!
    see, we CAN all just get along~ :D

p.s. wow, those basses are beautiful...
    nice~

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow. You have Conklin(s)??!!! I never knew that. I thought you were like a Fender player or something.............................;) :p :D :D

(just kidding, of course)

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    As far as i know.. the real Nathan East Yamaha (his personal model) is a 36" Scale

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, they're really cool!!! i should post some pics

:D :rolleyes: