1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

35" 4 Bangers!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Aug 24, 2007.

1. What you got?? :)

I just recieved a MINT Peavey G Bass and I LOVE this scale length and feel of the string tension. The neck is like a narrow jazz so the little extra reach is no big deal.

Anyone else got a 35" 4 Banger?? What's your opinion on them?? What strings do you use and why?? Show'em if you gott'em :)

I'll post some pics later, I know the rule :eyebrow:

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    On my 35" 5 string, I use slinkys which fit perfectly or GHS Boomers (the XL version which also comes in a 4 string version).

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Millennium is 35" and it is a great playing bass that can be set up very, very low. It has a Hipshot D-tuner, and the extra inch is really nice for keeping that low D playable.:bassist:

4. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    My Daion is 35"-the extra inch makes for a slightly longer reach, but the body design's also partly to blame for that. It also has a string-through-body bridge, so it feels nice and tight. I'm using DR Hi-Beams right now.

Dscn3830.

Dsc_8986.

5. Schecter California Custom 4. I use SIT Extra Longs for G&Ls since I string it through the body. I really like the SITs and there is nothing locally that is long enough..Its a great bass, I love the sound of it, and a great price for the quality of the instrument. I might sell it though cause I dont know if 35" is my thing...

[​IMG]

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My 'go to' 4-string is a 35" scale Skjold Exotic Custom 4:
    IMG_3480.

IMG_3481.

The D-tuner has been really useful, and this thing just snarls in drop-D:
    IMG_3482.

And of course my MTD 435's (the two on the left) are 35" scale:
    MTDCollection.

And then there is my tried and true 34.5" scale workhorse:
    114_1428.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Chris, you got me down for dibs on that Daion, Right? :D

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I have an LTD B-2005 tuned in Bb Eb Ab Db
    I use roto swingbass (they're the only manufacturer who makes four string sets for bead)

9. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    :D

You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands with a pre-Gibson Tobias.

:p

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've owned a couple of USA Millenium Plus 4 strings--I was very impressed with both of them. A friend of mine just got an extremely nice US tigers eye Cirrus 4. I played that last week, and man does that thing sing. 35" is still my scale of choice, regardless of number of strings.

11. For some reason, I've been sort of oblivious to 4 string scale length. I payed more attention to it when I played 5ers. I bought a REALLY nice Vantage P bass on eBay totally forgetting it was a 33" scale. I really love the bass but wasn't expecting it to be so short :p

I didn't realize there were so many 35" 4 strings, I find this all very interesting. At some point, I'd like to have Bud LeCompte build me one.

12. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Re:82Daion

I have the same Daion bass, but in green. Although, mine is not in as good condition as yours. How do you clean up your brass bridge? Mine is covered in years of grime.

13. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    This is a 35" scale, four string:
    [​IMG]

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I knew the Peavey G was going to get mentioned in this thread!

15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    ooo that's sharp lookin'!

Don't they just move the bridge back an inch to get the longer scale length? Not make the neck longer? I'm cornfused.

16. steve21

steve21 Banned

Only one I can think of that I played was the Tom Araya LTD, it felt pretty nice.

17. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, I got my G bass, Millenium Plus JJ, and my Cirrus...all 35 inch four bangers. I was afraid of the extra length at first because I am small and have short arms and small hands...it hasn't been a problem. Can't say that I am predisposed to 35s over 34s in a four string, it just hasn't been the obstacle that I'd thought it would be.

Kim

18. Everything must be lengthened to scale including the fret spacing. No matter what the scale, the 12th fret must be exactly in the middle between the bridge and nut.

19. That's a cool bass, I'd love to play it.