1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

35" 5-String advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murphys Law, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist: SPECTOR® - Stuart Spector Designs, LTD.
    Hey guys!

I'm in need of some advice.
    I'm playing bass for some three years or so and now want to buy my first "serious" bass.
    At the moment I'm playing a Cort C4H, and a self-built 35" 4-string Fretless which I really like. The Cort is nice to play but its just nothing special really...

I plan on buying a 35" 5 String Bass somewhere between 1000 and 2000$ in pricerange. (gotta change my Sig then :D)
    I like pretty tight string spacing at the bridge and some broader string spacing at the nut.
    Pickups should be something around 2 Soapbars (anything with 2 humbuckers should do the trick)
    Electronics can be anything, I prefer Mastervolume and Blend pot. Anything above that is okay, but i mostly don't use it.

As for styles: I don't like anything that looks like a Fender (Lakland, Sadowsky etc.) just don't like the style. Also I don't like the ESP, Ibanez, Yamaha basses...

Any recommendations?

Thanks alot!
    Karl

2. Peavey Cirrus??

3. Save your money, and buy a Schecter Elite or Studio. It will take you a good long while to accept the (likely) conclusion that it's all the bass you need... probably until someone gives you free basses in an endorsement deal.

-jb

4. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    +1. Killer Bass. I can't put the Cirrus down, the neck is so sweet and buttery....She's starring at me right now, gotta go play her.:hyper:

5. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    How about the Traben Chaos Core or Traben John Moyer Havoc 5-strings? 35" scale, 5 strings, and quality electronics.

http://www.trabenbass.com/john_moyer_havoc.php

I recently bought a 35" 5-string Ibanez BTB675. The BTBs look very different from, say, the Sound Gear series. At least I can heartily recommend this bass, great sound and playability, great tension and feel.

6. Shecter custom 5 or studio 5. Both are 35" scale, both have awesome electronics, both have EMG's ! The EMG's alone have made me put all my other basses aside. Extremely great tone, and playability, from slapping to finger playing. The studio is a neck thru body,the custom is a 6 bolt neck. And the custom only runs about $600! You should give one a try.

7. Jasonger

Jasonger

May 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Your post is screaming Spector Euro 5! Plenty of options, it will give you everything you are looking for.

8. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Thanks alot for your suggestions so far! :)

Cirrus: I will look into finding one of them for testing..I won't buy anything in this pricerange untested. I don't really like the looks of these basses. the Cutaways scream "BTB" and I plainly hate gold hardware.

Schecter Stiletto: these actually look really nice! gotta find one of them to test, but I really don't like EMG Pups.

Traben: These look nice, but I figure its really hard to get one of these to test it...

Spector Euro: Great basses as far as I know, but I don't like the style.. same goes for anything Warwick makes...

keep em coming :D

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you're open to the idea of buying used, there are all kinds of higher end basses available used in that price range, like Modulus, Spector, and Roscoe.

Mike

10. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    They're a bit more expensive then $2000, but you might want to consider a Status S2.

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    So what do we have left...

Human Base 5 strings.
    G&L L2500 tribute (or the real deal).
    Musicman Stingray / Bongo (maybe the Sterling line, Ray35).
    Epiphone Thunderbird Pro 5?

sex...
    [​IMG]

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    All of which are 34", not 35".

13. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    Already got a Thunderbird... it rocks, though i wouldn't buy another.

I thought about small companies, not 100% custom but small series.

Such as Esh:

http://esh-bass.com/content/view/62/28/lang,en/

that thing is just TO sexy (with Soapbars instead of Singles..)

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Hey I wanna buy a car, what should I get? Go get one of those bass guitar yearly "bass buyers guide" compendium books and just LOOK at the zillion basses for sale in there. Yikes!

What do you expect us to tell you? Personally my favorite bass is my 35" scale Modulus it has Barts not EMGs. Cuts the mix like a hot knife in butter. Carbon fiber neck never needs adjustment. B string to die for. I've seen used ones out there in your price range.

What you may or may not know is that 35" scales are a pain in the butt because you have a hard time getting strings locally. The local store makes me order 5 extra-long B strings at a time. [The B string is the only one that doesn't fit from a standard string set.] And the B string really sounds/plays no better than it is on my 34" Ken Smith or Alembic. I think the 35" scale makes much more difference in low priced basses than it does in higher end ones.

15. Any more, I think most companies make a string that's compatible with string-through and 35" scale basses. My only bass that has ever been tricky is a Peavey Cirrus 4 with a Kahler. I've had no other problems with my other Cirri, but the Kahler added about 1/8" that Ernie Ball couldn't handle. I have since switched to SIT, which sound near identical but are longer.

16. Murphys Law

Murphys Law

May 7, 2009
    Germany
    bassbenj: I "expect" you to tell me your experience, which you actually did, thank you.
    Yes, I know finding 35" compatible strings is a pain in the behind, but i simply like the additional inch... ;)

17. if you want to go custom, check out Matt Pulcinella Guitars.
    Custom 5 string will set you back about $1900, and it doesn't look too fender-ish.
    He made me a 5 string back in 01 that was very well made and had an amazing neck. The only reason i sold it was that the options I chose were terrible - solid bubinga body, lightwave electronics. Heavy as hell, and I didn't like the sound.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think my bass has been sold on TB a few times over the years.:ninja: