1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

35" 5 String Tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Does anyone know a good brand? I can't find any anywhere. :(

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
  3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You'll almost certainly have to order them online. Unless, that is, you happen to be in Atlanta and swing by Atlanta Bass Gallery.

The only set of tapewounds I have owned were made by Status. I put them on a 35" scale bass (Rick Turner RB5FL) and thouroughly enjoyed them.

4. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    I use Labellas on my 35" Warmoth Gecko. Love them!

Got them at basspartsresource.com.

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I figured I would have to order them online, but the La Bellas said they were for 34" IIRC. I wasn't sure if they'd be long enough.

6. Labella makes them in 34 inch and a version for 35 inch or body thru bridges. The longer scale strings can be had at www.carvin.com for almost half the price I have found them anywhere else.

7. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    The set I got was standard length I think, but they did fit. The tapewound part of the B and E string passed the nut by only 1/4" though.. The other are plenty long enough.

8. I thought mine were roto's. Can't remember now, though.

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    LaBella 760N's are available in standard and extra-long scale. Rob Allen recommends the extra-long for his 35" scale basses with thru-body string loading. They're available from juststrings.com

Anyone ever try the standard length 760N's on a Rob Allen MB-2?

10. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
  11. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Does anyone know if the status long scale fit a turner renaissance bass?

I played a bass with the status tapewounds a couple weeks ago and they felt and sounded great.

12. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Uh . . .

The silks start a mm or two below the nut, but since the silk-wrapped portion is the same diameter as the rest of the string it works just fine. You will have to unwrap a small portion of the string to get it to fin into the tuning post.

13. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Thanks PS. Didn't recognize the RB5FL as the Ren...I guess the RB should have been obvious.

Status has 2 gauges. I was thinking of going with the heavier gauge (45 G). How is the tension of the tapewounds on the Ren compared with the original acousticores?

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    What about tapered strings for a Fender Jazz V?
    I've heard that helps out the low B?