Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" bass string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yvon, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought my first bass with a 35" scale. I should receive it monday, or if i'M very lucky today... it's 4:25.
    Not every bass string fit a 35" scale. I was wondering wich one work and wich one don't.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey yvon.

every long scale string that i've seen would work on a 35" as well.

i've never seen a long scale string that wouldn't fit - i know for a fact that dean markley sr2000 long scale strings work on 34 and 35 scales - that's what i use.

3. Well, I have two basses that need extra long scale strings. Both my Gibson Ripper and my G&L L-2500 have strings-through-body design so regular long scale strings don't quite make it.

I use D'Addario XL extra long scale strings which are available in all guages. You may have to have your local shop order them for you, but I usually only have to wait a week at the most for them to come in. I suppose that depends on where you live though.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Yvon :D . Like Rob W, I have a Ripper. It's fretless and
    I'm currently using Rotosound RS88-EL (Extra-Long) tapewounds
    on it. With any luck, a set of Thomastik-Infeld JF364's will
    have arrived today. They are "extra long" as well (36").
    I've already tried the JR364 (roundwounds) on the Ripper -
    too twangy. You can get the T/I's, the Rotos, and the D'Addarios
    from juststrings.com . They do "international" shipping.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A 35" with string thru body (like Lakland)can be problematic. I use Lakland Nickel rounds. I also had a problem with a long scale set with tapered ends (at the nut) on my Clover 5. I use Ken Smith Burner Nickels on it.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, yeah, i didn't think of string through. i bet in that case that the sr2000's wouldn't cut it on a 35"

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    With string through body, the SR2000s don't cut it on a 34" scale either. The taper runs out before the string contacts the bridge