Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" bass string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yvon, May 9, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I post this thread a couple of weeks ago, I asked for 35" scale bass string. You guys told me all string would fit, but, I bought 2 sets since then and they both didn't fit. Before I buy another one, is there anyway I can tell if they will fit on my bass?

2. Are they too short? Most strings have a generous amount of extra length, but I suppose they could be short. I'm not saying it's impossible to get strings that are too long, but I managed to string up my 34" neck with 36" strings.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, how did it not fit, yvon?

my 8 string is 35" scale length, and i use my regular dean markley sr2000 with no problem.

is the bass strung through the body? along with a 35" scale length, that might be too much for most strings.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LaBella Hard Rockin Steel
    Daddario SlowWounds
    Fodera Diamond Steels (Try these, they fit my 36". Order from Bass NW)
    Modulus Nickels (Great strings)

etc etc

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I can install them, but they begin to tapered before the nut or the little colored "tissue" would start before the nut.

6. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    For a 35" scal ebass you want to look for a winding length of about 38". DR's work, you tend to have the most trouble on b strings. Most strings come up short, believe it or not unless you get extra long scale. D'Addario makes super long sets that will fit, but make sure you get super long.
    Bass Player did a string shootout a couple of years ago that was pretty useful. See if you can't find that out on their web site.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Mr. JT's got a good point. When I was experimentin' on my
    string-through-body Ripper, I got "extended" sets. For example,
    Rotosound RS-88EL and RS-77EL "Extra-Long". Thomastik-
    Infeld JF364 and JR364...36" flats and rounds, resp. I think
    D'Addario makes some Xtra Long sets too.

8. Besides the 35" you play, there is a length of string between the ball and the bridge saddle, and another length between the nut and the tuner. You might want to post those measurements from your bass.

9. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I have the same type question.I have to re-string my 35",through body Lakland.I use NICKEL DRs with a .130 B string.Does anyone know if this will fit?DR makes an extra long,but I would have to switch to steel or go to a .125.
    Does anyone know of another brand of Nickels with a .130B that will fit?
    Sorry to "horn in"with my Lakland woes-but I feel its related enough not to warrant a seperate thread.Thanks

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Lakland have their own brand. Maybe you can find what you are looking for.
    Or dadario have extra long set, maybe the fit.

11. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Maybe my question was confusing.Has anyone strung a Lakland through the body with regular length Drs?
    Does anyone know if anyone else makes a nickel set with a .130B that is long enough?
    I have a lakland Willie Weeks prototype,I got not to long ago.It still has the steel strings that came with it.I want to replace them.
    I like nickel strings with a .130 B.
    I use DRs now.(on a 34"scale 5 string)
    DR makes an extra long set,but only with a.125 nickel B string.I dont want to switch gauges(maybe thicker) or use steel.I would rather switch brands.Any suggestions?

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    GHS also makes Extra-Long scale sets.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe. I string them through the body with long scale DRs.

I like the Lakland brand of strings, but the largest B that they make is a 128. I like 130 Bs.

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Thanks for the input about the Lakland!Since I last posted here,Ive emailed Lakland,and they responded by sending me a "diagram" of a string.According to this diagram,I need 37" of strig from the string side of the ball end to the nut.
    When I measured the DR I had about 37.33"!!
    This is a "regular"length DR not an extra long,or anything specifically for this situation.
    Also since my last post,Ive ordered and received a DR .130 nickel hexcore Bstring set.Thats NOT taper wound which is what I like.
    Since Im replacing a taperwound set,I have to have it "set-up".