1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

35" conversion neck for Standard Fender 4 String pocket?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eilif, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A bit of an odd request here. I've fallen in love with 35" 4 strings and I'd like to convert one or two of my 4 string'ers to 35".

One is a dual darkstar frankenbass that has a T-40 neck on it. It sounds and feels great and has a non-standard neck so it's going to stay as-is for now.

That leaves my parts Jazz that I built with an allparts neck. It has a Standard Warmoth P-bass neck on it. It of course has a standard neck heel, and while I love the P-bass nut width, the profile is thicker than I'd like. This would be a chance to take it from a bass I like to possibly a bass that I love.

So, know of anyone making 35" necks with a standard Fender 4-string heel?

Ideally it could be a compensated conversion neck, but even if it was a regular 35" with the 20 frets of a standard fender, I could probalby find enough play on the badass bridge to mount it without other modifications.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm looking for a strait 35" but that's a pretty cool idea.

I got a quote from Dave Wendler for around $450 which seems reasonable.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I know of one TB'er that sells a 32" scale conversion neck, so doing a 35" scale is definitely possible. It will probably require a custom build though. Why are you looking for a 35" scale, are you using lower tunings and need the extra string tension? Or do you just like the feel of the extra tension?

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think I've seen those. Can you share the link to those?

Right now I'm still using standard EADG but I like the feel of the extra tension on my 35" 4 string Carlo and Wendler basses. If I can get a second fretted 4 string in 35" I'll probably convert the carlo to BEAD.

I got started down this path when I came across this used Carlo...
    NBD: My Carlo. Lakland lines but with a little something extra.
    ... which had the odd combination for a 4 string of 1.75 nut and 35" scale. Fit me better than just about anything I'd ever played before and after it's purchase, it dictated the neck and scale measurements for the custom Wendler that I just took posession of.
    NBD: Wendler Electrocoustic (Custom Cedar-Bodied 35" Fretless)

My P-bass, Artcore and T-40 will remain as-is and I've still got my eye on a "vintage" short-scale cort P-bass, but I don't see my self acquriring any more standard "34" scale basses.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I just checked with my buddy Keith Horne, and he said sure, he could make that neck for you. I can't quote for him, but you're probably looking at $300-$400 total.

Keith can be reached at: keithhorne1@gmail.com and 213-400-6702

Leo Smith likes this.
  7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for that! I may get in touch with him.