Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" Fender 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Just wondering, from what I know, the fender 5 strings and G&L are 34" scale. Do they not make a 35" 5-string? Would their custom shops make such a bass?

:confused: :bassist:

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Personally I like the low B's I've played on fenders, even with the 34 scale, it's nice and tight.

Unless you're completely into the feel of a 35, try out the normal ones, they rule.

And the custom shop probably would... but are you ready to pay that much for an extra inch?

3. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Good point, I'm sure the normal scale basses are nice. I always liked a longer scale for B strings. It would be expensive for custom work.

4. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Any other thoughts on this topic?

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Why do you want 35" scale bass?

6. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I love my Fenders, and I suppose the Custom Shop could do a 35" if you wanted one, but I really can't imagine it would be worth the $3k+ price tag and 1+ year wait. Better to get a 35" Lakland for a fraction of that price.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    there are tons of 34's with killer B's... I've even played 33 with pretty strong sounding B... I just stick to 34's, it keeps me in check when I switch to fretless.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Out of the 5-string's I've played, I've preferred the B-string feel from models with a 35" scale (Lull, Modulus, Roscoe, Lakland, Spector). However I haven't played a Ken Smith, Sadowsky, or any other upper end 5-string with a 34" scale.

I'm sure with Smith's and Sadowsky's killer reputations and satisfied owners, they must have great sounding B-string's.

Out of the 5-string's I've owned with a 34" scale my favorites have been Pedulla and EB/MusicMan.

9. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I just like the longer B, just my opinion.

10. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

If I simply HAD to have a "Fender-ish" 35" scale fiver, I would buy a KSD. (FWIW, a TB'er has one for sale right now in the classifieds.)

11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Theres a local guy who had the Fender Custom Shop build him a Jazz Deluxe 5 string awhile ago with the neck using the measurements from his old Modulus 5 string bass... It's 35" scale and is pretty cool..:bassist: