Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" fretless 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kael, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Does anyone manufacture a 35" fretless 4 string? My muscle memory is hitting saturation level between the 35" scale multi stringers, the upright, and the short scale (32"?) fretless acoustic. Would like to pick one up, but 34" is just to similar to 35" for differentiation and I don't want to mess with readjusting to yet another scale length.

Thanks in advance

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Peavey Cirrus 4 has a 35" scale.

Moving up the ladder in price, Nordstrand, Roscoe, and others will build you a 35" four stringer.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    MTD

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Of the lower level MTDs, I believe the Kingston four has a 34" scale though.

Elrick 4s are 35" standard as well.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Pete Skjold could make you a stage series fretless Im sure. All of his basses are 35" scale. Im not sure what your price range is though.

www.skjolddesign.com if you want to check them out.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Right now I'm in the initial stages of interest, so all suggestions are welcome. Not limiting myself to a specific price range, HOWEVER....

I generally avoid any instrument that runs more than $2500 or so. I just can't justify taking anything more pricey than that out on a job and I can't justify purchasing an instrument that I won't take to a gig. Also don't see the point in "wasting" money on "entry" level equipment that will just need to be swapped out for something more solid at a later date. In other words, I am limiting myself on price. :eyebrow:

I need to think before I type. :D

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you look used, you'll have a fair amount to choose from. Lots of people find they don't like 35" basses and end up selling them- you can get nice four-string Elricks in excellent shape for $1300-$1800 pretty easily.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I second the Cirrus motion that Embellisher beat me to :)