Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35 inch scale neck???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Oct 20, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    I have bass right now which is 34" scale - and I want to get a new neck for it soon. Can I get a 35" scale neck, and pop it on or will it not be compatable/fit right/whatever ? I guess in other words, does the 35" scale have to do with the neck only or the rest of the body??

2. As long as the distance from the nut to the bridge winds up being 35" plus compensation it is ok.

The thing you have to watch out for is that a generic replacement neck may not work. The neck will have to exactly fit the body of your bass to make the scale length 35". Otherwise the frets will be in the wrong positions for whatever scale length you wind up with.

Geoff

3. It would totally depend on whether the neck was designed to be a drop-in 35" scale replacement for a 34" scale neck. If not, you'll probably have to move your bridge about a 1/4 inch back.

I question whether a 35" scale length gives a noticable improvement in sound over a 34" scale.

I wouldn't recommend changing necks just to get a longer scale. If you want tighter strings, you can get a higher gauge.

- Dave