Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale + 2tek...what will reach?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ugo, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    hi, i need a little string advice....

i've got a used modulus quantum 6 with a 2tek on its way to me and i'd like to pick up some strings in anticipation of its arrival. off hand, do you guys know what strings will fit on this sucker?

the current owner said that he uses DR, which are my favorites too. however, i forgot to ask him which sets he uses. im a big fan of high beams and the extra life strings, and i know they fit 35" scale ok, but im not sure whether there's enough length on them to make the extra distance through the 2tek. on my cirrus 5, the windings taper at about 1" past the nut.

if high beams are too short, would DR's long neck's be the way to go? and if so, how does the tone of the long neck's compare to the high beams?

thanks for the info,
    -ugo

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 2tek actually doesn't consume that much extra string. Much less than through body stringing does, since the ball slides so far up into the bridge. When you order DRs just make sure you get the "extra long" high beam set and they should fit fine.

3. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    ok cool...thanks! :)

-ugo

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Just to clarify... DR bass sets have a 37 1/4" winding length, which is longer than most long scale strings. DR X-Long sets have a 40" winding length.

Tom

5. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    thanks for the specs tom. i'll be getting the bass in today so i'll measure the strings that are on the bass to get an idea of what has been used.

do i measure from the ball end to where to windings taper?

thanks,
    -ugo