Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35 scale 4 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Micolao, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Can you guys suggest me some AFFORDABLE (max 6-700$) 35 scale 4 strings?
    Thank you ;)

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    ESP/LTD makes a few 4 stringers in 35" scale...so does Schecter and I think Dean. Peavey Grind basses are 35" scale..on the 5 stringers anyway. I can't find any 4 string Peavey Grind basses.

Oh yeah Traben makes 4's in 35" scale....but I dunno how you feel about Traben....I know how I feel :scowl:

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    thank you, I asked this question because I play 99% of the time in DADG with a 4 string and I was wondering if a 35 scale will give the low D a better definition.

Stupid?

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Used Peavey G-bass. About $300 on ebay. Excellent fit, finish, and playability. I should know, I've got one. :)

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Well whatyya know I play DADG most of the time too. :D

And no it's not stupid at all. IME a 35" scale will give better definition to most lower notes (D, B, A, C) etc.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Ya know, a 5 string would give good definition as well. If you play in DADG a lot then I can probably make an assumption of the type of music you're probably playing.

Would you benefit from having the B, C, C#, D, D# at your disposal no matter what? Not to mention the the deeper tones of say E-A on the B string?

For the price you listed, you could get some very nice 5 strings in 35" scale. MTD Heir comes to mind with that bridge humbucker driving your B string.

-Eric.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 string is 35" scale. Excellent bass.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    ESP gets my vote. Good stuff. Also, good luck searching.

9. TRAX

TRAX Guest

Sep 16, 2005
    a 35" bass with 4 strings in that max price range is the Yamaha RBX774. this is the bass i recommend. Yamaha makes very nice bass guitars.

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I played a peavey gbass for a couple weeks (borrowing it form my uncle) and I loved it. IIRC it had a 35 inch scale

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was going to post this, but with the caveat that they're discontinued in the States - however, they're fairly easy to find on sleezeBay™ and an absolute "bang for the buck" steal at their usual selling points.

12. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Buy a Peavey USA Millennium on EBAY. You can find them with two Jazz pups or a Jazz/MM combo, basically the same as a Lakland USA model. They ONLY come in 35' scale, so you won't need to ask if it's not mentioned in the listing. The prices fluctuate quite a bit, sometimes you can get one for less than $300. I just sold one a month ago on Ebay and only got $275 for it. (I cried) Beautiful bass and everybit as good as a Lakland (sans the brand name wow factor). The only reason I sold it was that I have very small hands and the 35' scale was just a bit much after a few hours playing.

Dave

13. Justpucky

Justpucky

Mar 12, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    The Peavey Millenium is at 34" scale. THe Peavey Cirrus is a 35" scale. I own a millenium and I double checked the specs when I saw this post.

14. capbass

capbass

Jan 26, 2007
    I'd go with a heavier gauge exposed core string before i went with a 35 scale for low D definition. just my opinion. 35 scale just doesnt intonate as well to my ear. FWIW, & for my uses i found that to yield better results in terms of tone and intonation.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, the import Millennium BXP is 34". The American Millenniums are all 35" except for the very rare Millennium standard P/J basses.

16. Justpucky

Justpucky

Mar 12, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    And since most ebay sellers don't list (or even know the difference) As I didn't; it's crap shoot to aim for a 35" scale USA Peavey Millenium on Ebay. Specifically if nobody elaborated on the difference for the OP.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are wrong again. American Millenniums tend to be J/MM or J/J and have a Cirrus custom shop preamp and controls. BXPs tend be two soapbars if they are active and the J/J models are passive. It is not hard to tell them apart.

18. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Check out a B.C Rich Innovator. I own one and I really like it. I've had it for about 4 years now, I think, and so far it's been a great instrument.

19. Justpucky

Justpucky

Mar 12, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Now that you have presented the proper information to the OP he'll know what to look for. But until now, you hadn't given enough information to figure it out from the pics and if you read most of the e-bay auctions, only about 20-25% of sellers know what they're selling.

20. Listen to the doctor! The Cirrus and Millennium are 2 really bad-ass basses that you can get for pretty cheap used. Due to the stigma of the Peavey logo, they have little/no resale value. There's nothing in the price range that will be remotely close the quality of a Cirrus or Millennium.