Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale 4-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dpaton, Aug 15, 2003.

1. dpaton

dpaton

Jan 21, 2002
    Schaumburg, IL
    I've been toying with tuning my Schecter 4 to B-E-A-D, but I want a tighter sound than a 34" B gives me. My old Ibanez 5 (35" scale) had a very nice B, so I went looking for 35" 4-strings, but have been having trouble finding them at working stiff (ie, non-custom) prices. I don't need a Sadowsky or anything, just a bass to mess around with the tuning on.

Any hints before I start buying wood to make one out of desperation?

-dave

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    first hint is search... a thread with similar title has been floating up to for a few days.

Second,I get your non-custom price thing... but I think Sadowsy's are 34" and have super tight B strings... so does my Benavente and it's 34" as well.

A tight B is the product of construction and electronics, not scale.

3. dpaton

dpaton

Jan 21, 2002
    Schaumburg, IL
    Mea culpa, for some reason my searches for anything with "35" scale" in them got kicked back with an error. Thanks for the linkage.

-dave

4. I have a five stringed version of the ESP LTD C series, which I am thoroughly satisfied with. My bass teacher thought it'd be a disappointment considering it's korean made and stuff like that, but when he played it, he loved it more than my L2500.

It has those 3 band eq's, and really nice feeling neck. I had based my knowledge of the 5 string on how the 4 stringed reviews were(until I got my 5 stringed reviews!) and people loved their bass.

here's a pic of it in its red quilted maple top.
    The body is composed of a neckthru combo w\ Maple and Walnut, while the body wings are composed of Mahoganey and a cosmetic veneer(quilted maple or bubinga).

here's a pic of the 4 stringed version.

5. oh yea, and as for the B strings, I notice a HUGE difference w\ a 34'' and 35'' scale, the clarity is like DAMN!

6. Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Aug 14, 2003
    Midwest
    Alvarez makes a 35" Scale 4 string.

It is the AEB 4000. They introduced it last year.

Neck-through Mahogany body w/Bubinga top. Satin chrome hardware. 2 Seymore Duncan Stingray style pickups.
    Looks feels and sounds great, I got mine NEW with a HSC for $450.

I see a few on e-bay every now and then.

DB

7. Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Aug 14, 2003
    Midwest
  8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i am not sure, but is the Ibanez BTB 35"?

Also any Elrick is going to be 35" scale, even thier fours. You can pick up a used bolt-on w/ no top for a bit over 1000 i think...

9. dpaton

dpaton

Jan 21, 2002
    Schaumburg, IL
    I dig the satin chrome hardware. It's too bad Alvarez discontinued their whole electric line.

*sigh*

And unfortunately the one you linked to is sold, according to the main page.

After more digging around, I've found the following:
    -ESP LTD C-304
    -Ibanez BTBs
    -Yamaha TRB4II and RBX774
    -Peavey Cirrus (neck thru)
    -Peavey Grind 4 NTB (confirmation?)

Gsxtacy- $1k is a little more than I'm willing to spend on an experiment right now. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Peavey Grind ($360), one of the BTB400s ($520), or maybe a used TRB ($500-600).

It's a real joy trying to buy new gear while simultaneously looking for a job
    :meh:

-dave

10. Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Aug 14, 2003
    Midwest
    >>It's too bad Alvarez discontinued their whole electric line.<<

I hear ya. I wish they hadn't but their electrics didn't really sell. Oh well.
    You can still find them around though, but they're not as easy to find as the other 35" scale 4's.

Good luck

DB

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey G-bass. Not in production any longer but often seen an Ebay for low prices. Slim neck, really quiet electronics.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the g-bass has a graphite neck also

steve

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The American made Peavey Millennium & Millennium Plus are 35" scale 4-strings. They can be had for a reasonable price since they've been discontinued.

14. I still firmly hold my ground about the ESP LTD C-304.........they're friggin' nice for the price.