1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

35 scale 5 string fretless, brass bridge...quiet strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 30, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    35 scale Korean Dean fretless 5 string factory pair of EMG HZ, currently has some kind of rounds with the loose looking string wraps and no silks, anyone know what these are?

I like the tone and feel of these strings but I could use less string noise.

Is going to some sort of flat like my Fender 9050 stainless steels going to be a drastic tone change?

Tapewounds?

Any quieter rounds for a fretless 35 scale 5 string?

What are some preferred 35 scale 5 string sets?

Thanks in advance!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Going to flats will be a drastic tone change, you lose most highs and overtones - might be what you're looking for, maybe not. I like pressure wounds, to keep most of the roundwound sound while losing string noise and fingerboard damage. Ken Smith Compressors are my favorites, I like the slick rounds (ground / half wound) as well.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  3. I was going to suggest the GHS Pressurewounds, but the Ken Smith Compressors, which are also made by GHS and the closest thing to the GHS PW, would be a better choice for a 35" scale. GHS has a "winding length" (ball end to silk) of 37.25", while KS is 38"; otherwise, they're very similar.

DavidEdenAria and bholder like this.
  4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks! My bud, who is a collector of a lot of serious vintage gear, uses the GHS Pressurewounds on all of his basses....they don't get played much at all and I haven't really played any of his basses, only his guitars.

What is the tension like and how floppy is the B string compared to others?

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  5. I only play 4-string and use the ML7200 set (44-58-80-102), which I find very well-balanced overall. They do have the typical hex-core tautness but still comfortable without being too loose or floppy.

Something to note regarding the B-string...
    The GHS's .128 B is non-tapered, while the KS .125T is tapered.

Arthur U. Poon and DavidEdenAria like this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I see you play Fender 9050's as well as I......how do you think they compare to the ML7200 overall?

7. Fender 9050s are meaty and full-bodied like flats should be, but with a unique blend of grind and grunt without the typical thump and thud of a traditional flat.

The PW ML7200 are more round-ish in tone than the Fender 9050s with tight lows and punchy mids, and nice crunch up top without the zing.

I like them both for their well-balanced tension and tone across all four strings.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I think you'll like the B-string on the GHS Pressurewounds. IMO it's not at all floppy. I recently put a set on my 35" scale 6-string bass. I prefer higher tension strings, and I'm blown away by them. The tension for the entire set feels really balanced to me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Mystic Michael and DavidEdenAria like this.
  9. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Tapes are certainly worth looking at. Usually a roundwound string under a nylon wrap. I've used D'Addario tapes on fretless 4s and 5s and liked them.