1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

35" scale 5 strings for under 1500.00

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarrod cunningham, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i know spectors , i love spectors and may buy another . but what else is out there .... i dont want a snazzy all looks no sound bass . i play in a rock cover band and we have a very active stage show .. so its gonna get dinged up and scratched ..... tell me or show me what you have or suggest ..... :)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Lakland skyline 55-01 and 55-02.

3. Peavey Cirrus and Millennium.

4. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    In addition to those mentioned:

Ibanez BTB
    Schecter Studio 5
    MTD Kingston

There are lots of them.

5. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    thanks so far ! the lakland is interesting ... the btb i do not care for . the cirrus looks alot like it , the mtd string spacing is to wide for my liking , the schecter is cool enough and way under 1500 .... im gonna take a closer look at the skylines .

6. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    ESP

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    damn why dont ibanez just make me a dangd iceman 5 string 35" ????? that would get me by ......

8. Yamaha TRB1005.

9. Human Base makes a 34" 5 string with a very good low B. I had a modulus that had a better low B but the cost was three time as much. There is a video on you tube of Ed Friedland reviewing one. The neck joint makes all the difference IMHO. Everything else is top notch as well. Glockenglang preamp with three band EQ, the ability to split coils, and Delano pickups make this one versatile tone monster. I used to own a Spector NS-2A and (four string) and the Human Base is a superior instrument to me. The Spectors have some nice looking wood but to me it is all about tone baby!

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    One advantage of the Lakland is that they are fairly light, which can be important in a long energetic show.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    However, the Laklands have wide string spacing.

12. hmm

13. yea...laklands and MTDs have the same spacing. I went from 16.5mm on my warwick to 19mm on my MTD Z5 with no problems. Actually, I find it easier to be precise and quick...

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You could get a 35" Carvin for under $1500, if you didn't go fancy.

15. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    +1

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The 55-02 is one of the absolute best deals in the bass market IMO.

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Get yourself a used Cirrus.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Correct. For me that is a HUGE plus, and one of the biggest reasons I bought a Lakland. But for others that could be a deal breaker.

19. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    +1 on 55-02 but they are 19mm if thats not your thing you may not like it.

20. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i had a mtd that i didnt keep but 2 days cause of the string spacing . felt really wide and weird to me . maybe i need to just stick with the spectors .....