Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale 6 string flatwounds: Who makes them?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Root 5, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Can one of you tell me who makes extra long flatwounds in 6 string sets?

I'm not positive but I think Carvin offers a set for their 35.25" scale basses.

Any suggestions?:confused:

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Thanks, I will check them out.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You may want to try Fenders. They are not specifically made to accomodate 35" scale, but they are made for through-body stringing. I have the bottom 5 strings of a 6 string Fender roundwound set on my 35" Dean and they fit fine.

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have used Thomastick-Infeld 6 string sets on a 35" Modulus 6. The TI's are designed for 34" scale, but the B string, the only "problem" string, as the the silk ends up over the nut, can be adapted very easily.
    You can shave a few cms. of the end of the silk with a razor blade, and then seal that with just a drop of clear nail polish. This will keep it from unravelling. The set will now fit a 35" scale bass, and you get the advantage of those great sounding TI strings. This works with either their JazzBass Rounds or Flats, and the Powerbass Roundwounds.
    Max

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hi max

Could you do me a favor and see if your TI B and E strings might clear another inch past the nut for a 36" scale? Until the actual metal starts tapering down to go round the post. Thanks a bunch.

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I was asked to measure a TI flat E or B earlier today on a different e-mail :-0)
    What am I the TI expert 'round here (thought Tomguy was all that!!);-)
    My only flats right now area five string set with a high c...but the E measures out to be 48" long with 11 " of silk wrap
    About 3/4" to 5/8" of that wrap is around the actual string windings before it tapers down to the core.
    If I am figuring this right, that should be able to work on a 36" bass...But maybe Thomguy could enlighten us all a bit...
    Hope that helps...
    Max

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Thanks a lot max!

9. Mo String

Mo String

May 7, 2002
    This is the lengths of the flatwounds, measured between the exposed silks at the ball end and the top, in inches:

C (0.033) 36.63
    G (0.043) 36.88
    D (0.056) 36.75
    A (0.070) 36.75
    E (0.0100) 37.00
    B (0.0136)(the Anaconda) 36.14

Hope this is helpful

Mo