Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale and string life?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by farboozle, Apr 18, 2003.

1. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    So, strings on my Modulus Q5 seem to go dead quicker than on my Warwick. I like the feel of the 35" scale, but hate dead strings. Is this a quality of the scale length or the bass?

2. Could it just be the strings?

Geoff

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Could be your hands react differently (i.e. sweat/oils) to the Graphite vs. Bare Wood surface.

Another possibility is the Bare Wood of the Warwick may tend to absorb these oils from your hands where as the Graphite will not. They'll just build up and tend to get on the strings easier.

Just a couple of thoughts.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    i don't notice any difference in string life between my 34 & 35 basses...

5. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I think PB got it,
    My rosewood board needs strings less often than my maple one.I've heard others mention this as well.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    well no wonder i don't notice then, all I done got is maple!

7. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Definitely not the strings, I use the same strings on all the basses. I could believe the neck wood theory, the strings on my maple necked stingray also go dead too quick for my liking. I wonder what the effect would be on a Spector. 35" scale, maple neck, but rosewood fingerboard.

How I dream of the Spector USA bolt on . . .

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I used to play Spectors exclusively (both 34 & 35 scale). Although I loved the basses, the high gloss finish on the neck was not condusive to long string life. Like the graphite, the high gloss finish just lets the oils build up.

I am currently using Cirrus basses (no gloss on the necks) and my strings seem to last a lot longer before getting dirty now.