Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale J style 4 strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 2, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm totally in love with my new Peavey Cirrus 4, and I'm convinced that the 35" scale is part of the charm. If it only sounded more like my J bass, I'd laugh at the mere suggestion of picking up any other 4 stringer. Alas, I think I may need to supplement the Cirrus by looking at some J style instruments that are offered with a 35" scale in 4 string format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Depending on how vintagelike you want to be, the Elrick new Jazz Standard might do you nicely.

www.elrick.com

Also, you could try Jon Shuker.

www.shukerguitars.co.uk (enter the site and scroll down to the left and click on the options under J-Bass)

I don't want to sound like a broken record, because I've mentioned Jon in another thread recently. I don't own stock in his business! But he came to mind as someone who could perhaps get you what you want. The site doesn't list a 35" scale as a J-bass option, but I bet you could get it if you ask. I'm pretty sure he used to offer it as an option, anyway. Check out this little slide show, which explicitly mentions a 34/35 option:

http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/MovJbass1.html

You could also try Mike Kinal:

www.kinal.com

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow - thanks! Great suggestions, Richard. Extra thanks for including the links!

:)

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I second Shuker... Never played his instruments, but i know he'll do that for you, and he's a nice guy.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    ANother thread I came across made me think of another maker. Scott Ambush, the bassist for Spyro Gyra, also makes basses. They're not exactly Jazz-like, but they're bolt-ons, 35" scale, and can be ordered in a Jazz PU configuration.

www.ambushbass.com

There's also the Peavey Grind, which again isn't exactly Jazz-like but at least is 35" bolt-on. It's a P-J setup rather than a J-J, though.

I don't have to tell you where to look that one up!

That should get you going!

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you're right about Celinders; I think I've seen reviews and ads over here, though I've never actually played one. Will they do a 35" 4?

Overwater looks great. I played one once, owned by a Scottish bassist who was playing at the same festival I was, and it was a very good instrument.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by Richard Lindsey:
    Celinders...will they do a 35" 4?

Maybe my memory failed me (again) :), I couldn't find a 35" 4 on their web site, perhaps they could build one as a custom job.

Overwater and Hot Wire do though.

How about Mike Lull, anyone know?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I checked his site the other day, when this topic first came up, and didn't see it. Doesn't mean he wouldn't do it, though.