Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" Scale pain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Nov 3, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I finally got to play my "new" Cirrus 4 last night at practice. The 35" scale was no big deal to me except....the strings are tighter. I have blisters on my right fingers. I haven't had blisters in years. Is there any way around this?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wont last that long. Before you know it theyll toughen up. You theoretically could put super glue on your fingertips, it acts as fake skin over the blisters, but the best way to get callouses is just to suck it up.

3. Play lighter with your right hand ? :meh:

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats on joining the Cirrus club!

I'm sure you'll get used to it pretty quick. With tighter strings, you *may* find that you can play with lower action than on a 34" scale. Also, what kind of strings are on it (I assume it's used since you put new in quotes) - some strings bite into your fingers much more than others. Also, a round-core string like DR Fatbeams (what I string my Cirrus with) may feel less stiff than a hex-core string.

BTW, are you the same Joey who bought my Ibanez 5 string a year or two ago? What wood combo is your Cirrus, and where'd you get it, if you don't mind me asking? Also, Guitar & Banjo is well stocked with those DR Fatbeams if you wanna try 'em.

5. If you haven´t had any wrist pain on your left hand, there is nothing to worryabout!

I played for 6 years before getting blisters in my right fingertips for the first time, (some months ago).. And it only means that you've found yourself playing harder than you used to, and your fingers are getting used to it. You wont be getting blisters oftenly from now on.. And If you dont want the strings to be so tight, I recommend you can use a lighter gauge.. That's one of the posibilities that 35" scale offers keeping more clarity than in 34".

6. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Hey Covert Burro! Yes, indeed it is me. Good to see you again.

My Cirrus is flame maple and purple heart. I got it dirt cheap on eBay after some dumbass put two layers of paint on it and then proceeded to tear it up. Our friend, Jagneaux, brought it back to life with the repairs, refret, and refinish.

Here it is now:
    [​IMG]

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool beans - same wood combo as my Cirrus. Looks like Jagneaux did a good job, too - like he always does. Man, that bass musta been really well-worn or abused if it needed a refret! Looks like new, now. Even though I've moved on to a new main bass, I'll still talk all day long about how great Cirrus basses are. Mine's staying home these days, but I don't ever see myself getting rid of it. You'd be welcome to stop by and play mine with the Fatbeams on it if you want to see if they feel any better than the strings you're using now.

8. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Yea, Jagneaux's a regular magician.

What's you main bass these days? Who are you playing with?

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I made the jump back to five strings in a big way with an MTD 535 (click for pics).

I've been playing with the Kaiser Brothers (http://www.kaiserbrothersband.net) for the past year or so, but I'm about to crank up with a new band called Echofilter (http://www.echofilter.com) with some of the guys from Static (aka Mudbug) and Riverfly.

Who are you playing with these days? Shoot me an email or PM sometime if you want to check out those DR strings and the MTD. Kaiser Bros. are playing Antones tomorrow (Thurs.) night and Handlebar next Fri., btw.