Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale replacement J Bass neck.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Droog, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Do any of you folks know of anybody besides Moses that makes a 35" scale 4 string neck for a J bass? If not for a J then maybe something else. You see I want a 4 stringer with a 35" scale neck, and I want a J. I would prefer wood, but I may just have to go with a Moses. So if I can find a good replacement neck then I can build the bass around it.

Thanks alot!

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Wow, uh... no, er I mean, it makes me cringe.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not gonna bite:)
    It is 35" though :D

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Talk to Tommy at USA Custom Guitars www.usacustomguitars.com. He said they are willing to do it but you'll wind up paying for some setup time. Don't know how much that would be but you could call him and I'm sure he would give you an estimate.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Indeed I will get in touch with Tommy. Hopefully it won't be an eye gouge but I bet it will still come in cheaper than a graphite and it will be wood. Thanks alot for the tip, also its nice that they are about 6 hours away.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Droog;

Let us know what you find out. I was at one time thinking about getting a 35" scale J neck to tune BEAD which was why I talked to Tommy. I finally decided I was good with EADG. Be interesting to know what the verdict is.

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Tommy got back to me and unfortunately they have never made such a neck and so they would have to design one and build from scratch. Needless to say it could be anywhere between $500 and $1200.00 and so the search continues. May just have to get a Moses Graphite, fortunately I live in the same town so there is a lot more incentive, though I am not stoked about playing a graphite neck. Thanks for the help.

8. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Get a standard length neck, cut the fret slots for a 35" scale.
    Then reposition the bridge 5/8 inch back to the tailpin and the bridge saddles 3/8 inch back within the bridge. Viola, 35" scale with the only real mods cutting the fret slots to a different scale.
    what do you think?
    Jeff

9. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    you might want to just give building a neck a shot.

it's not easy, but you'll save money, and you obviously don't want a graphite neck, so you may just want to experiment. LMI sells fretboards that can be cut to 35" so all you'd have to do is carve out the back of a neck blank, (or make one yourself out of some laminated maple), shape the headstock, drill and place the tuners, and bolt it on.

it's just a thought. some people really don't like making necks, and others, myself included would rather just do it themselvs.