Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35"scale replacement P-neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderPig, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    Does anyone here know of a good quality 35" direct bolt-on replacement for a standard P-bass? I have one of my P's tuned B-E-A-D (.060 -.125) and no amount of EQ will get rid of it's flabby butt. It seems that the extra tension of other 35" necks makes a lot of difference in a more solid sounding B. Besides a 35"neck, I'd be interested in any ways you have found to have good attack with your .125 B. Strings, compression schemes, EQ...whatever. Thanks bros. By the way, I use a GK- 800RB into a Trace 1x15 and a custom 2x10 w/piezo horn. (I know my amp can go low, because my Toby-6 is pretty punchy on it's B.) And the P in question is an ash body Warmouth, Badass II bridge, passive Seymour Duncans.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Novax necks will give you a 35" low string, while keeping your 34" high string. And what is intended to be (and confirmed to be by Dingwall players) a more comfortable hand position up at the nut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Move your bridge back one inch or have a good luthier do it if there is enough room...

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Uh, what about fret intervals for different scale lengths...

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Can't just move the bridge, unless you're playing fretless and don't mind the dots/lines being wrong.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That Novax dealie would be really cool, if the heatstock weren't so damn ugly. Yuck.

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I wonder whether they would do a special, somewhat more fender like. I don't think they would add any material to the end, since this is designed to fit in a standard case, but I would imagine they could add more wood back at the non-tuner-side of the headstock.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dizang! :eek: Them fanned dealies are expensive!

10. I regreted post that. After I thought about it. Obviously I didn't think that one out, sorry. My thought train is some builders move the nut up a 1/2" and the bridge back 1/2" and then make the neck spacing in accordance to those changes.

I be more careful about suggestion, I glad nobody actually took my adivse on that one. Again that was very careless. Sorry. :rolleyes:

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Fender's are known for flabby Bs...:D
    I never had a problem with flab on my Ibanez that's been BEAD for a couple years now.

I agree that you should look into either Moses of Status for a replacement neck. Otherwise, I'd be willing to bet you're going to be dissapointed.

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    So are the Moses. But they're both list prices- I don't know what they actually sell for. And sometimes these things are cheaper through a dealer than they are direct.

13. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    Thanks guys, particularly Pilotjones. That Moses reminds me of a modulus blackknife Jazz that was stolen from me years back. That is soooo exactly like I was hoping to find. I hope I don't live too long, because my retirement fund is about to be reduced by about another quarter-month's worth of life. Should be worth it.

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Try www.usacustomguitars.com. Tommy and the guys at USACG do GREAT work and will be able to build you a top quality neck (probably better than you could buy pre-made) with all of the custom options you want. Finish, frets, wood choices, construction techniques, inlays, neck profile, etc. They also have really great prices.

15. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    That Novax looks as twisted as an airplane propeller in the circus mirror funhouse. I'd have to give myself the drunk test every time I saw myself playing it.

16. great idea here.. seriously.. thats a fairly small B. I use that for D. try a 135 B then see what happens.