35" scale strings for 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by B-Mac, Sep 19, 2018.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Why is it so difficult to find a set of 4 strings for a 35" scale bass?

Just seems a waste to have to buy a 5 string set.

Ellery likes this.
  2. It shouldn't be that hard. You need to think in terms of "winding length" instead of "scale length".

For top-loading on a 35" scale, you need 37.25" in winding length (ball end to taper/silk), which is most manufacturers' "long scale".
    For thru-body on a 35" scale, you need 38" in winding length, which is most manufacturers' "extra long", but "long scale" for a few, such as DR.

Refer to this list to find what you need:

Bass String Lengths by Manufacturer

3. B-Mac

Thanks. However what about windings on tuners? I like to have at least 3 and prefer 4 or at least almost 4. Thoughts on this are appreciated

4. I only play 34" scale basses, so I mostly use strings with 37.25" winding. But considering how much I need to cut off at the tuner end to make them fit properly (3-4 wraps), I don't expect any issue even on a 35" scale.

If you want to make sure, you can always try DR or Ken Smith because their "long scale" is 38" in winding length.

Root 5 and B-Mac like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's not how it works.

What exactly is the specific problem you are having?

6. B-Mac

Variety

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There are literally hundreds of string sets available to order from online stores.

What exactly is it that you are looking for that you can't find?

Saying 'they don't make 35 inch scale strings for 4 string' is like saying "they only make hamburger buns but I want baloney on a bun. Why don't they make baloney buns?" Baloney works just fine on a hamburger bun.

8. B-Mac

I have 48 basses, ranging from ABG, solid body, hollow body, fretless, 4 string, 5 string (two 35" scale-one 32" scale-two short scale), 8 string octave, mikro scale, short scale, medium scale, long (standard) scale and 35" scale 4 string.

I am no stranger to purchasing bass strings and trying different strings out. My dilemma, perhaps self created, began when I bought a 35" scale 4 string bass recently. They do not appear to make anywhere near the variety of 4 string sets of bass strings in 35" scale as other bass string sets unless they are a 5 string set, which is usually, but not always for a 35" scale 5 string bass. I noticed this with medium 32" scale basses as well.

I tend to get my bass strings from:

juststrings.com
    bassstringsonline.com
    stringsandbeyond.com
    bestbassgear.com

All reputable online sources.

I like flat wounds, black nylon wound, half rounds, nickel round wounds depending on which bass. I tend to lean toward 'bright', but without squeak.

@michael_t suggested previously that I shop by looking at length from ball end to taper/silk rather than by extra long scale or 35" scale 4 string sets exclusively.

If you can make a suggestion that provides much more variety than the 'DR' and 'Ken Smith' strings that were suggested to me by juststrings.com & @michael_t I'd appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is where your confusion lies. There is no such thing as 35" scale strings.

If you are looking at a specific set of strings..lets just randomly say DR HiBeams but it could be anything. You have HiBeams 4 string 45-105 in one hand, and you have HiBeams 5 string 45-125 in the other hand. The 4 strings in the 5 string set are identical to the 4 string set. The 5 string set is the exact same thing just with the extra 5th string.

So any 4 string set will work on a 35" scale as long as they are long enough. Which is why you were told the only thing that matters is the winding length. Scale length does not matter, because 5 different string manufactures 'long scale' can measure anywhere from 38" to 36".

What winding length do you need?

What kind of bass is this? I always just used regular long scale strings on my 35" Peavey Millennium 4 string. They all fit.

10. B-Mac

And they all had at least 3 windings on the tuner posts? That is also important to me.
    Thanks for the clarification. It is a bit confusing as I have seen some strings sets labeled as extra long scale while others just long scale.
    GHS_Electric_4-String_Bass_Boomers.jpg
    X Long on Stew-Mac site

103698.jpg

x long on full compass

11648828_800.jpg
    x long on Thomman.de website

la-bella-electric-bass-slappers-extra-long-045-110-sn47-exl-3.jpg

x long on juststrings.com

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. B-Mac likes this.
  12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes you can get seven or eight winds around the post from most any string if you don’t cut it.

Again the Scale length doesn’t matter because every manufacturer is different. DR standard scale strings are longer than most other standard scale strings for example. You have to look at the winding length.

What kind of bass are we talking about here?

B-Mac likes this.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I like DR Lo Riders and they work just as well on my 34" 4 strings as they do on my 35" 5 string. I like 2 wraps and always have to cut them down.

B-Mac likes this.
  14. B-Mac

Thanks everybody.

15. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I stopped reading the other posts after that. I'm not calling you a hoarder, although that's a hoard of basses. Awesome. If you are also married, you deserve a trophy.

16. B-Mac

divorced, no kids, engineering career.....

17. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I get away with 1.5 winds at the tuners. This will open up your options. You might try this, although it's hard for me to believe you haven't with that many basses! :D

18. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Well, there's your problem.

Jason Hollar, B-Mac and Chrisk-K like this.
  19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I don’t see any Ric users complaining about the lack of 33.25 inch scale strings.

Dwight Trash, MDBass and B-Mac like this.
  20. B-Mac

Collector...and if having a harem was legal I’d have....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021