1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

35 scale vs 32 scale. Before and after of same bass with mods.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garmenteros, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    We've all heard the debate that you need an extra long scale for a thunderous and clear low B. I suscribe to that school of thought as well. The Bs on my 35 scale instruments are better than the 34s. I didn't own a 32 bass until now.

I had a custom headless bass made in 35 scale. Due to the ergonomics of the body (it was a mark king status inspired build, which is originally a 32 scale instrument), it was virtually impossible to play and the reach was really uncomfortable. I recorded various soundclips of the bass in that configuration. The B was excellent, tension was perfect with 130-45 strings. Seeing as I was not going to use it in its current form because of what I mentioned before, I decided to cut the neck, install a new fretboard and make it a 32 scale. Both fretboards are the same type of wood, high grade ebony from lmii.com luthiers mercatile. Everything else about the bass is the same, fret material that was used, etc...

So the conclusions. The bass in its current 32 scale form is a breeze to play. Its slightly lighter. The strings are looser and I can't dig in as hard without getting an undesirable tone and clank. I'm using the same 45 130 string gauges but may use 135 50s for next string change. The tone and note definition on the low B sound good, but not as good and defined as before. Its perfectly usable but not as mighty as before. I will post soundclips of the bass as it is now in a couple of days when work allows me to.

You guys be the judge soundwise.

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. BassmentPlayer

BassmentPlayer

Aug 28, 2012
    Canada
    It is very interesting that it is the same bass. It makes the comparison seem to be pretty valid.

I would think the change in scale would require different strings to be a fair comparison though.

To me you would need to thicken up the strings to get to the same tension you had when it was a 35", then it would be as close a comparison as possible.

Cool project, looking forward to the clips.

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    So here are quick before and after pics.

Before:

IMG_3482_zpsemfw3kqg.

You can see how far out the neck extends from the body.

After:

headless%2032%20scale%2000_zpsc07bukku.

Much more comfortable and usable now. I also dig the color a lot more.