Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale : what are my flatwound options?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by osciphex, Mar 6, 2006.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I'm planning on buying a 35'' scale 5 string MTD kingston fretless, and I feel like I'd like to put a slightly lower tension set of flatwound strings on it.

These forums seem to imply that TI Flats work best for this kind of application, but I noticed that TI doesn't sell a 35" scale set, only 34". I also checked out Daddario Chromes... they have 34" and 36" scales...

What do people with 35" 5 string fretlesses do for strings? Is there some reason I would not want to put flats on this bass?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    LaBella makes their excellent Deep Talkin' Bass flats in extra long lengths. You may have to order them online from someplace like www.juststrings.com to find them, but they're out there. I used to love these strings on my 35" Dean Edge 5 string.

Fender strings may work for longer scale lengths since they're designed with some extra length to accomodate their through-body stringing. I'm not sure though.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I've got Ti Jazz Flats JF-365, strung through the body on my 55-01(35")
    Bill

4. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Oh, I see TI indeed makes super long scale flats.. there just isn't an entry for them on their website..

5 string newbie question : Can I put 36" strings on a 35" scale bass? Won't they get too long up by the nut? Or is 1 inch not a big deal?

5. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I don't know the exact lengths. The JF-345 set fit 55-01, BTB1005 and Millennium 5Plus through the BRIDGE, with no problem at the tuning pegs. As I said the JF-365 set will fit through the BODY on the 55-01.
    Bill

6. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a set of TI JF-345 Flats on my 35" Dean Edge 5 Fretless. They fit fine with plenty of length. It might depend on how your tuning pegs are set up and if you string through the body. The JF-365 Flats were too long on the Dean. The JF-345s sound great and have a low tension which seems to make them easier to play and slide around on....

7. appler

appler Guest

Can anyone recommend some high tension 35" scale flats? From what I've read, the Jazz Flats probably aren't my thing. Thanks.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Get the Lakland JO flats. They're higher tension than the TI flats and have the scale length you need, on account of the long lakland string-thru bridge.

Order through BassCentral or another similar shop.

9. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I'll second the Lakland JO Flats. I order them from juststrings.com for my Modulus Q5. Tension wise, I don't know the exact specs, but from experience, I'd place them between the TIs and the LaBellas.

10. appler

appler Guest

I'm actually using the JO flats now and I find them to be too floppy for my tastes. Does La Bella make a 35" scale 5 string set or should I just suck it up and deal with it? Thanks, guys.

11. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Yep - they do. But, as far as I know, they only come in the medium gage: .049-.109 with a .128 B-string. If you find the Lakland's too floppy, then these should be right up your alley.

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Here is a link to a chart of string/silk lengths for the TI line.

http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=12214

I have used JF345's on my Turner Electroline which is 35", and on a Lakie 55-01. I never needed the extra length of the 36" set. But you should be able to use that chart to figure out which will work for you.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed. As I wrote above, I used these strings on my 35" Dean and they were the bees knees.