350 w combo...do I need something bigger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 31, 2003.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I rented a 350w EBS combo (one 15' speaker) and if I continue renting it for the next three years it will become mine... the shop where I took it allows this form of rent and when you payed the value of the amp + 25 % while renting it, it will become yours.
    I thought that since I play heavy rock I could need something bigger, and with this form of rent I could swap my amp with another amp or head/cabinet... I will lose the first year of rent I already payed but I could take something better paying a little more every month and it will then become mine. So my question is... should I pay all this money in three years (the total cost of my amp would be around 1700 euros)to have a 350w combo or should I pay something more and get a head/cabinet rig, something more powerful..? Or should I keep my combo and maybe buy an extension cab (2 x 10 or 2 x 12)??? many people told me that I already have all the power I need... I know many bass players use a head/cabinet just to show off and the amp usually only serves as a monitor on stage as its signal is then put in the PA...
    anyway my EBS combo has one of the best sounds I ever heard from an amp
  2. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    keep your EBS i think. a 350w combo is very nice and the EBS one is great ! but 1700 euros...isn't that too expensive?
  3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Can't really help you since I'm not familar with market value in your continent, but seems like you could do better with a head + cabinets to give you more speaker surface. I'm a big fan of 210 + 115 or 210 + 212. Wattage is great, but speaker surface is important too.

If you have a bunch of money invested in it, keep renting it until it's yours, then sell it.
  4. i say keep it and get a extension cabinet also will getting a extension cabinet increase the amount of watts the amp puts out because on some amps it does and taht will be a plus you shouldnt need any more than a 2x10 and a 15 wiht 350 watts because if you do u prolly need a pa. so yah get a extensoin cabinet.
  5. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't know much about the EBS but I think for the money yo u are talking sbout you could get a Peavey Bam 210 and also an ext cab. then you would have more than enough!! It's 350 watts on it's own with the cab it jumps up to 500. I have one and I love it!!
  6. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I saw that they have an amp like mine at the shop with 4 x 10' speakers instead that a 15'... Maybe it will be a better idea to rent that amp and buy an extension cab with a 15' in a near future... It will cost me a little more and I will lose the first year of rent I already payed but... you know I'm searching for an amp that will last many years... I don't want to spend so much and 2 years after discover that I need something bigger... I'm a bit worried about that, even if I read on many magazines that my amp is the best combo on the market
    I am also a bit confused about 4 x 10' because I tried two of them and they couldn't develop the "booooooooooooooooooooooom!" I like to hear when I play the E string... I tried a rickenbacker and a stingray in a 4 x 10' cab and the E string had a lower volume than other strings... pretty strange... what do you think about it???
  7. zoran

May 10, 2002
    It depends which 4x10" you've used. My aggie handle E string nicely. But you're right, good 15" add some nice round bottom, but also can be muddy. Decisions, decisions.:)
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I don't know how deep you are in the EBS combo but If you can I would suggest that you seriously" try the Fender Bassman 400.I have a SWR 350 Redhead combo that sounds real good but I gotta tell ya.The Bassman 400 "spanks it.It is the "Real Deal' as far as combos go.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I really like ebs gear. If I was going to get a combo, ebs would be it! As far as if 350 watts is enough, that depends on what and where you are playing and you will have to decide on that. There is no way a 350 watt combo would work in half of the shows Ive played. At the same time There are alot of times 350 watt/115 would be more than enough. I personaly like the head/cab set up but if I were in your shoes I would keep what you have and add the ebs powered ext cab. I think they are arround 300 watts as well. Should work great. IMO
  10. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    today I went to the shop to try some head/cab setups... I tried some ampegs with 4 x 10' and I didn't like them. They couldn't handle a low D. I tried an Swr cab with a 15' and a 10' and it sounded too metallic... I'm not an heavy metal bassist! I tried a marshall 4 x 12' and it was good but 400 w all tube is too much for me! so I'll keep my EBS combo it just sounds so good!:)